• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Internet Marketing Article

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bernard

Bernard

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 03:54 PM

Since there is no post in here yet, I thought I would offer up a page I wrote recently for discussion. I initially wrote it for possible submission to a general business print publication, so the intended audience is the non-SEO savvy business owner. What do you think?

Internet Marketing - Potential Pitfalls

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 09:04 PM

First off, I love that you have included a glossary of terms. How about making those terms in your copy into links to the definition? Some are, some (possibly confusing one) aren't.

Can I make a few suggestions?

[quote]Consultants worldwide offer their services to make your web pages appear at the top of search engine results[/quote]Changed:
[quote]Consultants worldwide offer their services to help your web pages appear at the top of search engine results[/quote]

[quote]Being banned from one of these engines can seriously poison your on-line presence (possibly negatively affecting the decisions of other webmasters to link to your site and lose more opportunities for publicity/traffic apart from the search engines).[/quote]Changed:
[quote]Being banned from one of these engines can seriously damage your on-line presence. One consequence of risky SEO practices is a reluctance from  other webmasters to link to your site and lost opportunities for publicity/traffic apart from the search engines.[/quote]

[quote]Some search engine spam techniques that should be avoided:[/quote]Changed:
[quote]Some risky search engine optimization techniques that should be avoided:[/quote]

[quote]When evaluating an SEO/SEM consultant, be sure that they do not employ any of those techniques[/quote]Changed:
[quote]When evaluating an SEO/SEM consultant, find out if they employ any of those techniques[/quote]

Under PFI-
You may want to note that PFI inclusion does not guarantee high rankings, only inclusion in the index. The real benefit is a regular schedule of spider visits so you can tweak the optimization and see results pretty quickly.

Overall, an excellent article Bernard! Very well explained.

#3 Bernard

Bernard

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 10:37 PM

Thanks Scottie! That's exactly the kind of feedback I need. I've probably read and re-read that copy so many times now that my mind is numb (and blind) when I look at it again. Great suggestions.

FWIW, I had intended to link more of the terms to the glossary, but I got lazy. I'll admit it. :nerd: I'll be fixing it up soon though.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 06:23 PM

FYI, you can also post your articles in the "Articles" section of the forum.

Jill

#5 Bernard

Bernard

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 09:40 PM

Scottie, I've updated the page with your suggestions. Thanks!

Jill, OK. ;)

#6 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 10:13 PM

;) Very nice!

#7 projectphp

projectphp

Lost in Translation

• 2,203 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 02:37 AM

Ok, and change:

This company promotes software that many consider as scumware.

to

This company promotes software that many consider to be scumware.

and

Most people are not aware that their software has been installed or how to uninstall it

to

Most people are not aware that such software has even been installed,  or how to uninstall it.

There are a few other little points of style, but that is just my pedantic nature, and I wont bore you with them.

My only other suggestion would be to try to find your own "voice", a tone that you write from. I often find that, simply by reading a few lines, I know instantly that Jill has written something, as well as more than a few of the other regular articles that I read.

My personal writing style is pretty informal and blunt, and often shocks mme when I come to proof read it. Over time I've got better at some of this, (although try telling that to my Uni philosphy professor ;)), but I still struggle big time writing reports etc.

That said, I found your article pretty good and useful. Nice one. ;)

#8 Bernard

Bernard

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 03:34 PM

Thanks PPHP, I'll take another look at editing it this weekend.

Oh, and.. that *is* my voice with the exception of Scottie's suggestions above. I wrote every word on that site without help or plagiarism.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!