• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Stop Words

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tawnya

Tawnya

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 05:39 PM

I understand when creating keyword phrases that you shouldn't use stop words ie) the, and, is, web, etc since they are ignored. I have but one question: If stop words are ignored in Google, why then when I search "the" in Google does it come up with a list of links? Shouldn't it come up with zero links found?

Tawnya

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 05:50 PM

You can definitely use those words in your phrases if they make sense to do so.

If you want your page to rank highly for "Winnie The Pooh" optimizing for "Winnie Pooh" will make your site rank below those who optimized with the alleged stop word, "the."

Optimize for the exact phrases that make sense for your site, and don't worry about "stop words."

Jill

#3 DanThies

DanThies

Keyword Super Freak

• 865 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 08:34 PM

Not to mention that "stop words" are usually pretty vital parts of the language and it's darned hard to write copy that doesn't sound stupid, unless you use them naturally. Searchers also use them naturally.

#4 awall19

awall19

Peanut Butter Lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 01:43 AM

Stop words are not illegal words that ruin copy. Stop words are more like filler and fluff. Without them sentences would continue without making sense without clear purpose without converting readers without selling.

Content should ideally be written for human eyes AND be found in search engines. If content is written for search engines AND is found by human eyes it will rarely convert.

You can use other words over and over but the sentence would seem unnatural, like the one above. The purpose of stopwords is to give search engines a better idea of the actual keyword density of a page. Stopwords allow well written pages to more easily compete with pages of bulleted lists by not penalizing the word "the."

Think of phrases people are searching for and optimize pages for those phrases. The word "the" will be in many sentences, it does not hurt you.

What really hurts people is when they put something dumb like "welcome to" at the begining of a title. Search engines will not usually be welcoming people to those sites as they are frequently not focused pages in the eyes of search engines.

#5 Tawnya

Tawnya

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:26 AM

Thanks Aaron for the info, makes it clearer for me now.

Enjoyed gandering at your site as well.

Tawnya

#6 awall19

awall19

Peanut Butter Lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 11:47 PM

Thanks Aaron for the info, makes it clearer for me now.

Enjoyed gandering at your site as well.

Tawnya

Somebody liked my website...thats scary. Maybe things are looking up for me. Can't wait to redesign it... Don't know where I will find the time ;)

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!