• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

I Hate My Job

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
91 replies to this topic

#1 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 02:41 PM

This one gets a little philosophical/motivational so if you were expecting a rant- start a new thread!

There are soooo many reasons people stay at a job they hate. The money is good, their skills are limited, they like the people but hate the job, they need the insurance.

My personal opinion is that it's your choice to stay or leave. A hard choice, definitely. But it's still up to you.

Maybe you can't walk out in a dramatic scene like Jerry Maguire this afternoon, but if you know you want something better, start a plan now. Go to school at night, study up online, start making contacts in the places you want to be.

I spent 10 years in retail, missing family holidays and special occasions because of the long hours required. I always told myself it was my duty to stay because I had great benefits, an excellent salary, and a family to support. But when I realized I was missing the baby's first step, first words, first everything and looking at family pictures from holidays that I wasn't there for, I realized I had my priorities wrong.

You would be surpised how little you can live on when you have to. And enthusiasm and a willingness to learn goes a long way towards landing a new job, even in an industry where you have no experience.

I've been hired to do things I've never done before and I've hired others who showed an aptitude but had no experience. Don't count yourself out without making an effort.

So, if you hate your job... what's your next one going to be?

#2 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 03:13 PM

I was just going to come here and post a thread entitled "I'm Running Away To Join The Circus."

Because it sounds much less stressful to me. I think I could be the straight-man in the clown show. Pies to the face and being repeatedly run over by unicycles? Sounds good to me. Where do I sign up?

I ****ing hate my job so much. But when I get home, I'm too exhausted to do anything. I check my email, make dinner, check the forums briefly (I'm not just saying that-- most of the posts are time stolen from work to theoretically make work-related question posts) if at all, and go to bed. I've been trying for three weeks now to work on a professional site to start a new job, and well-- I have two pages of possible, unedited content.
I just don't have time. So here I sit and here I stay. The benefits are questionable, the working conditions often unpleasant, the learning experiences far more painful than necessary, and I really, really, really hate it.
But, no choice. I can't live on *nothing*.
And there isn't a circus in town that's looking for someone of my qualifications.

#3 deborah2002

deborah2002

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 03:18 PM

Dragonlady,
I've seen your posts and when I saw Scottie start this one I knew you'd be here. Have you thought about freelancing? You sound like you know your stuff, and you could build a small clientele just after hours (I know it's hard to work after work but in your case it would be worth it).
You seem very talented in the writing arena, so have you thought about copywriting? Life is too short and you are way too young to be that unhappy--give it a shot--you'd probably do fantastic things!

wish ya all the best!
deb

#4 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 03:18 PM

But, no choice. I can't live on *nothing*.

You just made my point. :cheers:

You do have a choice. What are you doing about it? There are other jobs in the world!

#5 stoli

stoli

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 03:35 PM

Dragon,

Not to be cold but only to help, you say you have no time to look for something else to do. But how many times have you posted here today?

What else have you accomplished today? You have stated that your boss sometimes," lurks over your shoulder". Do you think that there is a reason for this?

Making the most of your job is also your responsibility. Try to change things you are not comfortable with. Your career will go a longer way if you are passionate about your job! Life is too short to spend all your time doing something you hate.

Only trying to help! :cheers:

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 04:10 PM

How qwerty became a professional geek

I used to be in retail management too. Specifically, I was the manager of the worst movie theatre in all of Boston for twelve years. I got into that job because, coming back to Boston after completing an MA in History of World Cinema, none of the art houses or museums had the budget to hire me for anything beyond making popcorn. So, I took a job with one of the big nasty chains, and quickly lost my love for my chosen field.

So, 12 years of doing something I despised because it was tangentially related to something I loved. Not a good situation. On top of that, I had no idea what else I could do, much less what I'd like to do. So I went to a career counselor, took some tests, and discovered I had an affinity for these funny humming boxes that sit under our desks. Up to that point, I'd never even used one apart from the COBOL programs our company ran.

I went back to school while working full-time at the theatre. So that was about 50-55 hours a week at my job and an average of 12 hours a week at school (8 hours one week, 16 the next). Nine months later, I had my certificate in HTML, javascript, SQL, VB, and PowerBuilder. Six months after that, I had my first job in the field.

It can be done. Who needs sleep anyway? Just one more thing, Dragonlady -- the longer you wait, the worse it gets. Try to imagine what it's like to continue for years doing something you hate when you know how smart you are and you're just wasting your talents. The longer that goes on, the more you'll doubt yourself, and that makes it even harder to make a change.

#7 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 04:14 PM

I spent eight months unemployed looking for this job, so I'm too scared to leave it.

My boss has always lurked over my shoulder. But thanks for implying that i don't know how to manage my time.
I generally make posts while waiting for the site to upload. I suppose I could spend that time instead checking my email for the boss' latest changes, but I'm having trouble mustering that much motivation. I also post during the half-hour I have before work starts-- I get a ride to work and arrive before I'm on the clock. As we don't get flex time, I see no need to do extra work then. I like to check the forums to unwind and ask any questions I thought of the day before. I find checking the forums to be a pleasant and relaxing experience. Job-hunting, for me, is about the most unpleasant thing imaginable.
I don't have much leisure time. I'm sorry if my choice to spend some of it here seems contradictory or offensive. I've been extra-busy in my personal life this last three weeks as well and that won't be easing up for another three weeks yet. Perhaps once things ease I'll have time to do more than whine here. But you're right, I do complain an awful lot. Perhaps I should stop complaining and... explode.
You're right-- sorry to have annoyed you all with my whingeing. It doesn't really help anything and it only wastes more time. But I leave you with one last thought-- if this is as coherent as I can be, disorganized as this post and the last one are, should I really be trying to write professional, self-promotional copy? An enterprise doomed to failure, I believe.

I just can't make a change when I can't focus enough to explain what even bothers me. That's the problem I'm having.

I'm taking a very short vacation this coming weekend, and I hope to take the time to at least draw up a schedule for starting my own business. But I also have six or seven other things that I've thought I ought to try and do in that weekend, along with the trip I'm taking (boyfriend's family reunion, first since his father's sudden and totally unexpected death in May)... so I haven't got high hopes.
I thank you all for your support and criticism, though I may not be terribly graceful about it. And I have tremendous appreciation for all the resources I've found here, though I'm not always vocal in my appreciation.

[edit to add coherent conclusion]

#8 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 04:15 PM

:cheers: Great story Bob!

I did the same thing, taking MSCE,A+, and CNE classes on nights and weekends. Didn't decide until test time that I didn't like networking!

Took out new loans and went back to school to get a Master's degree in Technology Management. I worked, studied, raised a small child and had another baby in the meantime.

If you want it, you will find a way to make it work out.

#9 Haystack

Haystack

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 04:52 PM

For people thinking about making the jump to going solo, you may find some inspiration in the July 2003 issue of Fast Company Magazine. (Actually, every issue has something inspirational, but this issue specifically focuses on things like, "How to Make Your Own Luck" and "My Toughest Decision."

BTW, be sure to read the letters to the editor.

#10 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 05:01 PM

Oh man! <Tune to "Memories" playing in the background> :cheers:

My last "day job" before starting my online biz was just rotten! It didn't start out that way, but the last 4 years ended up that way. I won't go into detail, but it gave me the motivation to get off my butt, reprioritize and do something to get me out of there.

I worked a full-time job then came home and worked nights and weekends on "my" business. Eventually, I went part-time at the day job and did my business after 1:00 everyday. Then, I took the plunge. OH MY!! How scary that was!!

I offically started in 1999, and for about the first 18 months I did NOTHING but work. It was not easy, but I wouldn't trade it for anything I can think of now.

Dragon... don't get offended. In our own little ways, we're trying to help. You and/or others who read this.

I guess the point Scottie is making (and me, too) is that there IS a better way. Maybe not an online biz, but another job (look while you're still working), more school, or a bunch of other ideas.

I agree 100%, Scottie. Where we are and who we become IS OUR choice.

#11 stoli

stoli

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 05:26 PM

Dragon,

It was not my intention to offend with my post.

A lot of people start out careers with jobs that they do not like with adverse working conditions.

Looking back on my experience, I have done everything from digging holes all day in 100 plus heat, to estimating and finally owning a small business.

I am not perfect either in managing my time. I have my issues in time management.

From each job that I have had, I have always learned something. Sometimes what I learn is only that I never want to do that again, but at least it is a step in the right direction.

You are still young and you can truly do anything you want with your career. There are so many options when you are young and just starting out. You could spend time on the net researching job/careers. You could just pick up and move to the beach!

:cheers:

#12 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 05:35 PM

Dragonlady-

No one can change your life but you. Your boss, your boyfriend, this forum, none of these can change your life for you.

I bring that up only because whether the topic is keyword research or online meeting recovery, you seem to post something that says how unhappy you are with something or other in your life.

If you don't take a hard look at the things you dislike and come up with a plan for changing them, they will just get worse- you can do better than that!

As for copywriting, think about this:

A copywriter needs to be able to convey their thoughts as efficiently as possible, using the minimum of words necessary to get the point across.

Maybe you should consider creative writing- articles, reviews, and other types of writing that allow more personality and individual style. That would seem to fit your style of writing better, and may be easier to get started.

Start by writing articles about things you enjoy or know about and offer them to publications at no cost. Build a reputation first- then paying jobs will come easier. And writing is something you can do between other tasks at the office or at home- it seems to come naturally to you.

:cheers:

#13 Tawnya

Tawnya

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 05:52 PM

You are still young and you can truly do anything you want with your career. There are so many options when you are young and just starting out. You could spend time on the net researching job/careers. You could just pick up and move to the beach!

I am almost 40, single mother of 3 children. Flops are a part of life's menu and I'm never a girl to miss out on any of the courses (...Rosalind Russell). Saying that, I've risked a sure job that provides food over my childrens heads many times for a job of opportunity. And there were times where opportunity just knocked at my door. Last job I was VP for a computer service company which ended up unexpectedly closing its doors. Where most would of went home crying, I decided to continue running the business with no pay for 3 weeks enabling me to recruit most of the clients to my current business. Yes, we starved for a few months, yes I cried over it all wondering if I was making a mistake as a mother who was responsible for her children's welfare, yes I had insomnia many nights, yes I took up smoking again but in the end, it was a risk that paid off.

Ever read that book "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill? It was a bible to me at one point in my life in staying persistent through the darkest days. Always darkest before the dawn they say.

Just don't miss out on opportunities that cross your way because you are dwelling on what you don't have in your work. Keep yourself open :cheers:

Tawnya

PS...Have quit smoking again....yehaw!

#14 patrickh

patrickh

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 05:57 PM

It is hard to be motivated at a job you really hate -- even harder when youa re planning to move on to another job, leaving very little incentive to over-achive -- but if you can't it will only get worse. Perhaps if you wow your boss with working extra for a few weeks, doing more work than is expected of you, then he will return the favor with flex time or something as little as being more trusting? I can tell you, even the nicest most relaxed bosses probly hate to see their employees come in at exactly starting time and leave at the minute their shift ends... while you don't get paid for any extra efforts, it can do nothing but help in the way you are preceived by your employer. I'm sure the last thing you wan't to do is work more, but thats the only thing I could think of to improve that situation.

One other thing -- the fact that it took you eight months to find a job meant you were being selective, if you had to (like fired right now had to), you could be working by next week. It might not be a fun job, but it could be better than where your at now. A few years ago I had a job I totally hated, so I eventually just quit showing up... as scary as it was not to have a paycheck, it was a great feeling. I got a job doing data entry until I found something 'worthy' of staying at, and actually ended up getting promotions within that company... but if that wasn't the case, it still would of been a decent temp job until finding something better. I would take mindless labor over getting berated by a boss at a decent job any day of the week.

Anyways, while you may of been being sarcastic, you were right by saying whining accomplishes absolutely nothing. Either take a risc with a job change, or make the best out of what you have. There really isn't much else to it -- pretty much everyone has been there before.

Good luck. If all else fails, just start drinking more until you forget how much you hate your job :cheers:

#15 meta

meta

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 07:11 PM

Good luck. If all else fails, just start drinking more until you forget how much you hate your job  :cheers:

Oh, so THAT'S what's up with my coworkers!

Now, a gal has to pay the bills if she has them. "Just say no" is not an adequate strategy. So I suggest looking into two things - 1) how might you earn as much as or more than you do today in a more pleasant situation and 2) how might you reduce expenses?

The first step in finding a job is thinking about what a job is - an exchange of your talents for money. Make a list of all your skills, experience and qualities that someone might value. Ask your friends and discrete coworkers to add suggestions for your list. Study the list and use it as a starting point to investigate job alternatives until you find some options for working in a more pleasant environment. Even if you feel very tired, discipline yourself to devote a little time to your career plan each day.

Reducing expenses eases job and personal stress. You won't feel so locked in when you have better cash flow. If you have debt, look into options for negotiating manageable payments, and make paying off your debt a high priority. Shave pennies off your routine expenses, save the pennies, and one day you'll be delighted to see you actually have savings.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!