• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

The Tricks People Use.....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 deborah2002

deborah2002

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 02:40 PM

Just thought I'd share a semi-horror story...
A little less than a year ago, my company hired out for SEO. They found this "famous" guy who would do it for xx thousand dollars. Well, at this point, I was still quite the novice and trying to learn from his work.
I had happened upon the term "hidden text". Again, being a newbie, I started checking related sites for this (it was new to me so this was considered fun at the time).
Just for fun, I checked our site and guess what? Mr.Wonderful had put it on our site. I called him up and asked him what it was. He never completely answered me, just said he'd done it on "hundreds of sites before and it worked for them."
I innocently asked if this was considered hidden text (even at that point I knew it was). He said no, that it wasn't white like the background, it was BEIGE.
Now, first off, I know what beige is and that wasn't beige. I also know it couldn't be seen unless the page was highlighted. Then he said it was light yellow. HMMMMMM......so #fffff is yellow now?

This story actually has a happy ending.....he got fired and yours truly got the job!

Anyone else have horror/success stories?

Just thought this'd start a fun thread--ALL of us have stories like this!

deb

#2 Mel

Mel

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 03:05 PM

Probably all of us have run into this scenario:

You are paid your pittance to optimize a site for a big company, when just as you are about to go live with the site, they hire a new VP of marketing who decides that new branding right down to the logos, text, fonts and colors of the page have to be changed.

Not to worry he has some high priced graphic consultant to do the work and a not so cheap web design firm to put it all into .net aspx and he figures he can use what you told him about SEO to get that part done...

A year later, the site is up and beautiful, everything is in the database, but Google refuses to spider the new pages and they forgot to put 304s on the old pages so they were dropped, there seems to be no way other than reprogramming the site to change the page title that uses the company name and is the same on all pages, ditto the meta description... Then the phone rings.

"What will it cost to get the site ranking again?"

#3 Haystack

Haystack

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 04:41 PM

The situation I see a fairly often is the "The More you know, the Less you know" situation, where prospects feel empowered enough to do things themself, but occasionally find themselves in trouble based on some bad information they ran with on their site.

By checking in every couple months with a short email I've managed to build some loyal client relationships. Slow sales cycle? Yes, but the time investment is fairly low and it puts me in the right place at the right time.

Balancing relationships between designers, marketing staff, and the SEO firm is a big challenge largely due to the diverse personalities normally making up those positions. Unfortunately the SEO generally doesn't have the first or final say on the design of a web site and has to work with the designers and marketers created.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!