• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

What Is The Fastest Way To Get Money Coming In?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 idrive

idrive

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:43 PM

1.5 years later.... I had forgotten all about this thread but someone PM'd me today with some questions so I thought I would update the thread at their request :-)

Gosh life was different last December LOL!

No regrets about leaving the job and I did not once dip into a line of credit. On of those small customers never did end up paying me - my first bad experience there.

This past December was a different story altogether! I typically leave town for a few weeks to visit family and continue to stay on top of my work but this year I had to work for most of the holiday in order to play catchup :-)

Work is crazy busy right now to the point where I have a couple of people helping me out (other professionals with their own companies that just happen to have a bit of flexibility in their schedule right now).

I don't recommend that others go out and leave their jobs - one thing I may not have mentioned is that I had been in the job 1.5 years and before that ran my own SEO Company and before that have pretty much always been self employed so the concept does not scare me. I also did not have a solid pension or benefits that intrigued me in the company and they did not fulfill their employment comittments to me financially (I was promised (on paper as part of my employment agreement) $x year to attend conferences which translated to 2/year and when my 6 months came up, I was not allowed to attend a conference. That's like not paying the money that I am hired to work for. As far as family responsibility my obligations are to a couple of dogs - if I had kids I would likely handle things differently!

I think the #1 factor in getting to this stage has been networking. The other positive thing is to let go of customers that you don't gel with or colleagues that bring you undesirable business (undesirable is when the clients never fulfill their contract obligations; colleague doesn't pay on time, etc.) Ok one more thing is to state my rates and hold a straight face ;-) I learned that from a colleague and after a while you begin to work at that rate all the time and don't think anything of it! I have stopped taking projects that are a bit small for me because not only do they suck me dry emotionally (those are the clients that want the most), they tie up my time to work on larger projects or to be out networking for more projects...or even working on my own site ;-)

Hope this update helps some people who come across this thread :-) You have to know what is right for you in terms of being an employee or being self employed. I hate being an employee pretty much every day that I have to be one and love being self employed pretty much every day.

#17 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the update!

#18 Elvis

Elvis

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:21 PM

Hi idrive,

It's been late but I keep up to this post since I found it somewhere. how are you lately, have you gone out of your bad times and growing up as a gurus like any others helping you out here?

Elvis

#19 idrive

idrive

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:23 PM

Hi Elvis!

All grown out of the bad times :-) And they weren't really bad - I was just getting started and needed to ramp up very quickly!

#20 Elvis

Elvis

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(idrive @ Mar 9 2007, 11:23 AM) View Post
Hi Elvis!

All grown out of the bad times :-) And they weren't really bad - I was just getting started and needed to ramp up very quickly!

You know why I am so into this post coz I ran into exact this situation right now. LOL. I may be your follower. Right now, I have a few web development clients that I try myself to keep up with. On 15 Mar, I will be leaving my existing company officially. I really want to be a internet marketers on my own way. Working out my own companies. By the way, I believe what you had said before about our own personal networkings and I think I should have to be more "exposed" to them, telling them what I am specialized.

Pray for me. The 2nd story of this post. LOL
Elvis

#21 idrive

idrive

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:33 PM

Woo hoo!

Best of luck Elvis! You can make yourself successful with lots of hard work! Network, network, network - hand out business cards and follow up with people - but try to find customers for other people and stay in contact with those people to keep your business fresh in their mind.

As much as you attend networking events, try to attend seminars on networking! I attended one (cause it came with free lunch *grin*) and really did learn some great things!

Keep us posted!

Also, to save time, try to "template" things - get some proposals drawn up, agreements, pricing, etc.

#22 Elvis

Elvis

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:42 PM

hahaha, thanks man.

I would try my best to fit myself into businesses. Lucky is that my site got traffic (about 100 visits of 900 pageviews) and I can still rank high in my area, google.com.hk with "internet marketing" keywords. At least I have something to show to my client.

By the way, it is nice to see such true man shows happening everyday. This is no ordinary post. By the way, would you like to link up together as a network to leverage traffic between our sites?

Elvis

#23 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:58 PM

Idrive, I'm glad I contacted you to ask for an update. I thought I wasn't alone in wondering how things turned out for you. This forum is a great way to learn about the latest in SEO. But it's also incentive for people like me who are still in the development stage. I think this is one reason this thread has been read by so man6 people.

#24 freediver

freediver

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:53 PM

Answer: Have a good idea, and leave all the seo work to professionals smile.gif

#25 THE BERG

THE BERG

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

Freediver, looks like someone is threatened.

You are me 3 years ago, idrive and especially Elvis. By no means, am I owning the planet of SEO yet, but things are very bright on this side of the fence. The other fences are just a couple hurdles away.

Having a positive attitude and staying motivated are key. I am so determined to build an empire, I can taste it. When I talk about the things i'm doing and want to do, people around me get excited and want in. That's the key to new clients. Get out there and share your enthusiasm.

I think 5 years from now, we'll all be posting on this thread about how we laugh about posts like this. "Funny that we didn't see what was coming around the corner!"

As far as your adsense project, i'm having some decent success with mine. If you take 30 minutes to an hour a day writing good content that's unique and fills a niche, you'll surely begin to gain bigger numbers. Every month my new project adsense revenue goes up because my traffic goes up. Set goals and stick to them. You'll be amazed at what will happen. How has it progressed since your first posts, or did you give it up?

Edited by THE BERG, 30 January 2008 - 07:29 PM.

#26 idrive

idrive

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

LOL I made a new post today and this response didn't seem to jive - now I know why - it's an older post I made :-)

I had a banner year last year, grossing a good 25% more than ever before. I am determined this year to not necessarily MAKE more money but to KEEP more money LOL

One of my largest expenses is outsourcing to other people certain things - programming, web design, etc. which are often related to my own needs, not necessarily my clients :-)

Some things I have learned along the way: Cut out the negative people in your life - professionally and personally. I let go of clients that I no longer want to work with because that will free me up to work with those I do want to work with; same thing for colleagues. If you run a business, I expect you to get back to me within 24 hours if I am offering to bring you work - if you can't, then you are not right for my clients. I protect them :-) One other thing is to "keep the pipeline full" - just because you have work coming in does not mean you stop networking...I learned the hard way :-) Keep time in your schedule to get out to interesting events where you can keep meeting people - perhaps you can bring work to those you meet or they may be able to bring work to you...or you just may make great colleagues to bounce ideas off of!

This year I am working with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Software so that I can follow up any "money I am leaving on the table" such as proposals I send out but don't follow up with. I want to track all proposals that don't pan out and see what they had in common so I can avoid writing those proposals in the future - is it the person who referred the work? Is it the time of year? Type of work? Price point?

QUOTE(THE BERG @ Jan 30 2008, 07:18 PM) View Post
As far as your adsense project, i'm having some decent success with mine. If you take 30 minutes to an hour a day writing good content that's unique and fills a niche, you'll surely begin to gain bigger numbers. Every month my new project adsense revenue goes up because my traffic goes up. Set goals and stick to them. You'll be amazed at what will happen.

I gave up on such projects :-) Wasn't disciplined enough to write. I am even thinking of giving up blogging - it drives traffic yes but that traffic is not the type to refer business to me or to become a client or even a colleague - I have analyzed the data over the past year and decided that I don't really enjoy blogging and I don't see it as moving towards my business goals ;-) However that is me and it is SO right for others!

#27 THE BERG

THE BERG

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:35 PM

It really sounds like you've got your sh$%#& together.

You're obviously a good business person because you're cutting your corners and eliminating waste. Everything can and should be analyzed for waste, when it comes to money and especially time. I have a feeling you're going to have your system running itself in no time. Congrats!

#28 mcanerin

mcanerin

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:41 AM

I think you're running your business better than me, iDrive! One of the issues with being in demand is that you can be sloppy and not notice any effect on your company until it affects your reputation, then it hurts.

As Jill alluded to, when you don't need the business, it seems to follow you all over the place! It's very different than when you just start out. I think people can sense when you are hungry and need the work. Currently I'm doing well enough that I really don't care if someone signs or not, and for some reason that seems to encourage them! Wierd.

I suspect I'm leaving big piles of money on tables all over the darn planet, simply because I'm so busy I keep not getting back to people who contact me - that's a bad thing. I actually need some people to outsource to, but of course then I get paranoid about them doing a bad job and me getting blamed for it.

At some point I'm going to have to let go and actually let some people help me, but man, it's hard! You build up this business with your heart and soul, then turn it over to strangers. It's like turning your kids over to a new babysitter.

I'm glad to hear you are doing well. Congrats! Will you be at SES Toronto?

Ian

#29 idrive

idrive

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:12 AM

Nah can't be doing better than Ian LOL. I have struggled with the "do I outsource" and I am never happy. I have decided that some projects are just too small for me (not many! LOL). I have outsourced aspects of projects - like kw research for example. I spent some time with a woman, taught it to her and gave her an entire project on kw research for a client. She actually did well in that she used her brain, not just tools. I keep telling clients that one's brain is the best tool out there!

I have an intern starting with me March 1. She is someone that I have known, is a student, and I have her for 6 weeks I think. She wants to learn SEM to be marketable but also wants to learn "everything" - I talk about CMS, this and that and she just wants to take it all in. I plan to use her to do alot of research and reporting back to me - have her install a few CMS that I can play with and let me know her thoughts; look into Google Optimizer and set it up for my site or a test site of some sort; in return I will teach her Google Analytics, SEO, PPC, etc. I am a bit nervous but it's funny - she will not be an asset in that she'll help with SEO, but rather she will report back on all the stuff that I haven't had time to look into!

Ian if you want a hand with some of your smaller projects while you focus on some larger stuff at this time of year, drop me an email. I have a couple of government projects on the go but so far am definitely able to keep my head above water so long as I am organized and say "no" to repeat meetings :-)

I'm not sure about SES T.O. I'll let you know :-)

#30 THE BERG

THE BERG

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 06:31 PM

Sounds like you'll be able to hand over a lot more than just KW work to this intern. That's got to be the best idea for outsourcing: Teach that person what you do and how to do it, in person, then watch how they handle things. Maybe that's something I should start doing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!