• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

What Is The Fastest Way To Get Money Coming In?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 idrive

idrive

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:50 PM

If you were to leave your job and strike out on your own, what would be the first few things that you would do to get some money rolling in?

I:
  • Lined up a couple of clients before I left my job
  • Took on small contracts that likely won't be long term, just to manage cash flow
  • Became a Google Advertising Professional in an effort to close more "browsers" on my site
  • Now am following up on receivables - even those that are a few days late
  • Think my priority is to do client work and then my own website
  • Think I want to set up a content site and earn some Adsense money...will take too long for now though!
Basically I can pay the mortgage for December but may not be able to eat unless those receivables come through...and need to find some income for January in order to chase receivables LOL!

Would love to know your thoughts!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 03:13 PM

Umm...have you thought about loans? smile.gif

Seriously though, SEO jobs can take a long time to sign a contract and get paid and stuff. I've also found that the more you worry about money, the harder it is to make. So be careful about taking bad jobs just because you need the money. I can guarantee you'll regret it.

One thing you might do is talk to some other SEOs (like perhaps at this forum) who might have overflow work to see if they can give you some. You'll need to prove your knowledge and understanding of SEO, and all that of course. But I know that many here are turning down work, so there may very well be opportunities if you can really walk the walk.

Even better, if you have a particular niche like that you excel in PPC, or you are an SEO copywriter, you may have an even better chance at getting some overflow work.

Good luck! And really do look into the loan thing...even if it's from family members or whatever. It's better to have something so you don't make bad business decisions.
  • megha and ndtphong89 like this

#3 idrive

idrive

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 03:38 PM

I have a line of credit but I don't want to go down that road if it can at all be avoided. Last time I got into debt I never got out *grin*

Before I took a job as an employee I had a good stream of clients and usually do get a couple of people calling every couple of weeks. I seem to close fewer of these deals lately but I'm not sure why - I think it is just the larger amount of competition that is available. One prospect told me that they went with another firm who quoted a similar price but the firm was "larger". Ok then. I can't compete with that though I challenge any firm to get better results for that particular site than I could get ;-) Ironically I just checked the site and don't see anything accomplished - I can't believe that an online jeweler would miss the Christmas shopping season!

One thing you might do is talk to some other SEOs (like perhaps at this forum) who might have overflow work to see if they can give you some. You'll need to prove your knowledge and understanding of SEO, and all that of course. But I know that many here are turning down work, so there may very well be opportunities if you can really walk the walk.

Anyone listening? *grin* I can't exactly PM you...I don't think? :-) I have a great deal of experience and evidence of my worthiness *grin* But this is not a self promotion forum so *shh*

Back to "how to make a million dollars in a minute" smile.gif

PS It is liberating to go from a decent salary and spending the whole thing, so a very modest income and only spending on essentials such as food, gas and shelter! Worth every penny that I don't have at the moment to have personal happiness...and to know that I can get clients as an entrepreneur...but I can't change the workplace as an employee.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:13 PM

efore I took a job as an employee I had a good stream of clients and usually do get a couple of people calling every couple of weeks. I seem to close fewer of these deals lately but I'm not sure why -

It could be the "too hungry" thing I was speaking of earlier. As I said, when you don't need the money, it falls into your lap!

One prospect told me that they went with another firm who quoted a similar price but the firm was "larger". Ok then. I can't compete with that though I challenge any firm to get better results for that particular site than I could get ;-)

And that is your unique selling proposition!

I used to have the same problem, but I decided to use it to my advantage. Sure, there will always be those firms who only want to work with large companies, and there's not much you can do about that. But they are DUMB!

Show those who are willing to listen, why working with THE expert rather than some brand new account rep is in their best interest. There's one particular very large SEO company in the same area as I am, and I love going against them these days for clients. Just too easy to beat them!

#5 idrive

idrive

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 27 2005, 05:13 PM)
It could be the "too hungry" thing I was speaking of earlier.  As I said, when you don't need the money, it falls into your lap!
View Post

You could be right - I followed people up who requested a quote. A couple of people thanked me and told me that because of "situation XYZ" they will now review the proposal next Tuesday and get back to me on Wednesday. So I would follow up by the Thursday or Friday if I had not heard.

Eventually you lose a great deal of time with such followups.

I just spent a week in another city (where I will be moving to May 1 and have lived previously) having meetings with web designers, other SEO firms, email marketers, online advertising people - all people within my network. Basically just talking about how we could offer SEO packages to web design clients, web analytics training to government clients, etc. Even if something comes out of this (these people have all referred work to me in the past), it will be January before anything kicks in!

I had some great email exchanges with someone who posted in the contracting and subcontracting forum here...but then the conversation died. I am hoping it is due to the US Thansgiving as I spent a great deal of time doing a site analysis rather than just a "I can do SEO for you" proposition *LOL* I am finding that posts in that forum are not paying off...

Oh and I did one more thing ;-) I gave some money to my WordPress designer guy to fulfill my blog and website wish list - he can do it so quickly that I am better of spending the money so that I can focus on other areas and earn money faster!

On that note I just lined up an interview for a job for Tuesday. Ick! I don't want a job *grin* I want clients!

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 07:39 PM

The clients will come. Sounds like you're doing a good job of setting things up now. But it will be some months before the networking and all that comes to fruition. So, stock up on Kraft Mac 'n Cheese...cuz it might be a long winter!

(Is it just you, or do you have kids?)

#7 mal4mac

mal4mac

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 04:18 AM

Think I want to set up a content site and earn some Adsense money...will take too long for now though!

Why too long? Just add one page of content each day and you'll soon have the price of a square meal.

#8 KatrinaSophia

KatrinaSophia

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 04:25 AM

think, if i was this perfect client, who exactly precisely needs you what you can do and even your personality to go with your abilities, who this client may have no idea how to find you, or maybe has some idea but getting lazy about it just delaying doing anything about it,

how would you, this your perfect client find you, this perfect person to do it for himher.

dont forget your perfect client has the money to pay and is willing to pay because heshe knows the value of rewarding people who work for himher well, jsut maybe has no idea how to find the perfect person for the job, or just got a little lazy as WE ALL do.

how does your one perfect self reach and encurage and convince and gets the other perfect self of the duff ?

hopes this makes sense

Katrina

Edited by KatrinaSophia, 28 November 2005 - 07:47 AM.

#9 idrive

idrive

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 27 2005, 08:39 PM)
(Is it just you, or do you have kids?)
View Post

My two kids have 4 legs each *grin* I have two dogs. Food wise they are great - only $25/month for the two of them. But one of them is 9 and actually needs some serious vet care. He has a huge mass on his underside that they don't know what it is - need to do a biopsy.

It sounds pitiful but it gets worse LOL. He also has a broken canine (fang) tooth - know what the remedy is for that? A ROOT CANAL! Seriously! I almost croaked when I went to the vet last week but verified that info with quite a few websites. So biopsy and root canal would set me back $1K. Can you believe that?

I was thinking of starting a PPC campaign to get my dog the care he needs *grin*

#10 KatrinaSophia

KatrinaSophia

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:46 AM

ok, what i was saying up there, that was a totally convoluted way of saying the best and fastest and the only really way to figure anything like this is to just put yourself in your ideal or near ideal client position, allow for hisher human foibles (laziness, not knowing how to do it, not knowing how to find you) as we all have these, but keep returning yourself and reminding yourself to see it from hisher point of view, your precious wonderful client(s) and it will start falling into place for yah.

like why heshe would need you, how heshe would convince themselves you are the best for the job, and just give them the words and the ideas which help himher to convince herself and shell out the doug.

K

this may only refuse to work for you if you have some kind of a problem realizing that they'd better pay you money for work which you are going to do to your utmost and best, and deserve and need and must be paid for, they can not expect you to work for them for free and then to have them wallow in luxury and for you to then live on the street.

be sure to add this understanding, this quality to your picture of a client/customer when you are imagining how heshe would go about finding you for the good work you would be doing for himher.

Katrina

#11 Cameron Olthuis

Cameron Olthuis

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:18 PM

First of all why did you leave your job before you had another steady stream of income? I understand taking a risk but it should at least be calculated. Anyways, what's done is done! No regrets right?

Have you considered asking your current and former clients for referrals? If you're really as good as you say I would think they will know some people you can contact. All of the projects I've worked on have come from referrals, most I didn't even need to ask for.

You can start writing articles to get your name out there, but this doesn't really solve your short-term problem. I would agree with Jill about getting a loan. Using a credit card or the equity in your home is not a bad idea, if done properly it's a good way to have money work for you.

Use being solo to your advantage. If you believe that you can provide better service and results yourself then you should be able to sell that point to potential clients. It's been my experience that most medium size to large SEO firms aren't really that great, the whole assembly line SEO thing doesn't work these days. Gone are the days of cookie cutter optimization.

If you're not good at selling yourself then hire someone who is. When you talk with potential clients show them how passionate you are, that's a great selling point.

#12 idrive

idrive

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:49 PM

No regrets at all :-)

I made my first $.84 via AdWords *grin* That is on a site with nooooo traffic, so it can only go up from here!

I really feel that SEM referrals will come - I just made contact with another web designer who is part of the Chamber of Commerce to see if he would like to offer SEM services to his clients. He actually does get some requests and as of yet does not have a company that he refers for this work. Let it be me! *grin* But this will take a while to cultivate.

Until then I am going to focus on AdWords Income...and a previous client just called and wants to talk about future strategy - so that is a bonus.

Oh and a client with an outstanding invoice (by a few days LOL) just told the accounting department to "get on it today"... so things will come together!

I am going to continue reading the article on making money within 30 days - was it Jennifer Leacock and Lactation.com or something like that? I have it bookmarked anyway.

#13 idrive

idrive

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:57 PM

I just thought I would add my good news in here...I landed a contract yesterday for a year with a client - it was my lucky day as one more day and I would have had to dip into the line of credit.

Hee hee. For some odd reason I am incredibly proud that 4 weeks out of the job, my bills are all caught up and I haven't dipped into the line of credit yet - really trying hard not to!

My AdSense dream is not paying off LOL. I'm up to $1.19 last time I checked :-) It might work out to a coffee per month *grin*

Some of my networking from 2 weeks ago is paying off a bit - I have a follow up meeting to discuss a particular client on Monday - woo hoo! No guarantees but at least it is noise!

Oh yes and one of three delinquent clients paid - I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing! At least it has given me the opportunity to seek further vet care...

Next week is a trade show that might generate some leads - I'll go and circulate like I own the place *grin*

#14 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:06 PM

Good job idrive! In no time at all you'll be like the rest of us all turning down clients cuz we're too busy!

#15 KatrinaSophia

KatrinaSophia

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:15 PM

hi idrive,

i know you dont know me, and so what i say, you may feel like you have not much reason to believe, but i see the confidence and hopefullness and the things you are creating for yourself in your life and i also think the cheerfullness in your post is about to bring you exactly what Jill just said here, and so

you might want to be ready for that.

cause when that happens it allways happens fast and you would not want to get a little 'confused' then when all the even better then now things are coming at you left and right. biggrin.gif cheers.gif

Katrina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!