• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Nice Forums!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
114 replies to this topic

#16 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 07:27 PM

I was there with a bunch of Buffalo natives, too, so we got to have a lengthy debate on how to *properly* eat wings.

LOL- there is no "dainty" way to eat wings.

I had a friend in college who had a whole list of things she woudn't eat on a first date: spagetti, pizza, wings, etc because there was no way to eat them without looking like a slob.

She inevitably ended up wearing part of her dinner and looking a mess. ;) She's married now and eats whatever she wants... :nerd:

OK- I like playing with the smileys too...

#17 Matt B

Matt B

The modem is the message.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 07:57 PM

Hot Wings Rule!

We have a Buffalo Wild Wings in our office building, it's so nice to have wings 'n beer so easily accessible during the day.

The smilies are taking over the page, HELP! :nerd:

#18 stoli

stoli

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 09:20 PM

:nerd:

I'll have a stoli on the rocks with them there wings!

#19 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,211 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 10:08 PM

Welcome, Stoli, thanks for stopping by! :bye:

And thanks Dragonlady about the forum. I'm very excited about it. I'm really loving the software too, and it does seem to have some additional functions that I've not seen elsewhere.

There's a whole lot of support out there for this forum software too, and all kinds of add ons, so look for more cool things in the future. Once we get things all figured out.

Now that I've added so many smilies though, I'm thinking we may need to turn on a setting that hides some until you click "show all." Will have to find that setting...I'm sure it's here somewhere.

Enjoy your wings, wine, beer and whatever else. My treat!

:balloons:

Jill

#20 wanderer

wanderer

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 10:40 PM

Very nice forums Jill. But I have one teensie problem. You left cre8. Now a whole bunch of people are going to check your forums out, and post here. It's going to get busy, lot's of good information, etc. etc. And just how am I going to get any work done having to read this good forum and that good forum ....

By the way, love the smilies!

:nerd:

#21 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,674 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 10:48 PM

I love the idea of more forums, more info, more places to get different perspectives on things.

I do have one suggestion, while you're in the process of tweaking this thing. When I get an email saying that a thread to which I've subscribed has received a new post, I follow the link and it takes me to the beginning of the thread instead of the newest post. I have to click again on the "first unread post" link or scroll down the page. Usability, usability, usability :nerd:

Oh, and BTW -- happy anniversary. (See? I read the newsletter)

#22 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 11:20 PM

Hey Bob- that's on my list of things to do. I hate that too! Especially as the threads get longer and longer...

Also on the list is shortening Jill's miles of smiles on the sidebar over there and making the forums spiderable, along with a few minor e-mail notification thingies.

#23 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,211 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 11:31 PM

Oh, and BTW -- happy anniversary.

Thanks!

:trash:

#24 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 11:58 PM

>there is no "dainty" way to eat wings.

Dainty wasn't what they were after. It was speed, and thoroughness.
When those natives were done, both the drumsticks and the flappers were nearly bare bone. It was like... piranhas. Amazing.

I miss buffalo wild wings. They're not exactly authoritative wings, but they're better than many. Where you at, SEO Guy? You know BWW used to be called BW3, for Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck? Well, turns out nobody but Buffalonians actually eat weck, so they don't carry it anymore. but, we in Rochester still called them BW3.

I'm psyched about these forums. i'm a recently formed addict for them. I did just do a search for "dragonlady7" on google-- it had never occurred to me before, oddly-- and found a post of mine on a forum I joined years ago and forgot about totally.
I'm going to have to play with these forums less at work, though. I'm getting more and more busy there. Phooey. I also have a feeling that they're a slippery slope-- you keep finding more and more of them and wanting to spend more and more time. Danger! But, I learn so much at these places that I don't want to cut back... So, i'll have to work on my copywriting and quit my day job so i can be on here whenever I want. Right? Yes. Good plan.

:restrains self from adding smiley: <-- aren't you proud of me?

#25 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,674 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 12:05 AM

Forgive the ignorance, but I've never been to Buffalo or Rochester (though I passed Buffalo taking the long route to Iowa City once and I have a cousin I've never met who's a chemist at Kodak), so I have to ask: What's a weck?

#26 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 12:57 AM

I don't know what weck is, but when I lived in Cincinnati, they kept trying to get me to eat goetta. Still don't know what it is, exactly. Something like oatmeal and sausage mixed together and fried. It's a meat... it's a grain... it's kind of brownish-grey...

And then there were metts. Whitish sausage. I didn't want to ask...

:trash:

#27 Bill Slawski

Bill Slawski

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 02:23 AM

The forums do look great. Congratulations!

I don't remember goetta, Scottie. Your description makes it sound a little like scrapple, though. (If you don't know what scrapple is, you might not want to ask... though I confess that I like it.)

I lived in Cincinnati from the ages of 7 to 13. I do remember that you couldn't get hot dogs at a Cincinnati Reds game. There were those metts, and there were a darker sausage called brats. Tasted OK to me...

#28 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 06:21 AM

"weck" is "Kimmelweck", a kind of sandwich roll. The top is encrusted with salt and caraway seeds. It's most often served around a roast beef sandwich-- "beef on weck"-- with warm thin-sliced roast beef, often au jus, and to top it off you put hot hot hot horseradish in there that'll knock your socks right off. Man, that's the best. I keep having a craving for one of those and there's no way to get it here.
No, no scrapple, no strange "meat-like" substances...
They call hotdogs "hots" (though that's more of a Rochester thing) and serve them with immense varieties of toppings-- "meat sauce", hot mustard, raw onions, etc. In Rochester they have "red hots" and "white hots", and for some reason they refer to them as "texas hots" even though the Lone Star State has nothing whatsoever to do with it. They're pretty good and don't involve any weirder bits of meat than your usual hot dogs.

Ahh, regional cuisine... Buffalo is my adopted third home and it's my firm belief that the best food in the world is there. But think it over-- given their weather, what else are they going to do? When I was going there to meet my boyfriend's parents for the first time, he spent days making up lists of all the restaurants we were going to see. More than a year later, we still haven't gotten around to all of them yet. :trash:

#29 Bill Slawski

Bill Slawski

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 06:34 AM

"beef on weck"

That description sounds really good. It's also made me very hungry. Gotta go eat breatfast.

Regional foods from here include more than scrapple. Maryland Blue crabs, lots of dishes with chicken, and mushrooms, mushrooms, and more mushrooms (you can smell the odor of a mushroom farm from a good distance away.)

#30 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 09:20 AM

Mmm... Where's "here"?

I grew up just eating my mom's cooking, which was for the most part basic, nutritious, and pleasant. She's recently begun branching out into Carribbean and Mexican cooking, which makes me sorry to miss it...
I'd never heard anyone be as passionate about food as my boyfriend is. You wouldn't ever guess to look at him (as a hint, his jeans size is 29x36-- 29" waist, 36" inseam. He looks like he lives off an IV or something.) but the single largest love of his life is food. I think the reason he likes me so much is that I make him lunch every morning. (He forgot it today. :trash: It was really good, too.)
His family will sit around and talk about food at any time, including when they're out getting food. But that's because there's so much good food in Buffalo. I've never been so impressed by the culinary merits of a city before. It's not just the wings and weck, either. They do fish fries for Lent that you wouldn't believe-- you look *forward* to Ash Wednesday because the restaurants will start getting the haddock out and it's to *die* for. Good Friday is a sad day because you know it's the last fish fry until next year. (Jesus who? Oh, him, right--see you at the vigil Mass tomorrow. Don't talk to me now, I got some serious eating to do.) They do amazing Polish foods I can't pronounce, they do Italian delicacies that will knock your socks off, they fry potatoes like you wouldn't believe, and there are half a dozen fabulous ice cream parlors that are guaranteed to try their best to spoil your appetite for the rest of the week (but won't succeed. I fast for a week before I go to Buffalo just so I can fit it all in). Every time we come back from Buffalo we have to haul a carload of food 400 miles and then up three flights of stairs. Oof.

I just always remember the night we went out to this gorgeous little Carribbean restaurant in Lackawanna (Krista's, if you're ever in town-- fabulous) for his mom's birthday, and we're sitting there enjoying the best jerk chicken you ever had, and his family is all talking about their favorite place to get Mexican food! They couldn't even stop talking about food while they were eating it!

One of these days I'm going to write a book about Buffalo, and it's going to be interspersed with recipes, Like Water For Chocolate-style.

MAN, I'm STARVING now...

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!