• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Pepper'in The Footer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Drew-z

Drew-z

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 01:27 PM

I am pretty sure I already know the answer, but here it goes anyway since I have seen this done successfully on high ranking sites

:cheers:

As a web designer, I put a link to my company site discretely at the bottom of pages I build. I have discussed this as sound in other forums with a small amount of debate.

The dilemma is that it can be taken a bit further. Specifically, with code that reads as such:

<a href='index.com'>Company Name</a> <a href='mysite/webdesign.com>Web Design</a> and <a href='mysite/seo.com'>search optimization</a>

The appropriate part of the company description does point to the appropriate page, thus making it seem ethical.

However, I am obviously also doing this to get links to subsidiary pages as well as well as the index.

Is this ethical and a prudent SEO tactic for generating incoming links?

#2 Bernard

Bernard

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 02:03 PM

From a business owner's point of view, I would not like your fingerprints all over my site. Am I paying you to advertise yourself on my site???

I don't mind a discrete advertisement/link on a links page or so, but multiple links on every page? That's more than I would tolerate as a client.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 02:11 PM

The main problem is that the one phrase works out to three links. I think I've already told you that I don't think that's a very safe strategy, Drew. But I still love your style sheet :cheers:

#4 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 02:18 PM

If search engines didn't exist, would you do this? If link popularity meant nothing, would you still do it this way?

It crosses the line from a simple credit to an advertisement of your various services. If your client doesn't mind doing your advertising for you, I don't see a problem with it.

#5 Drew-z

Drew-z

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 02:20 PM

From a business owner's point of view, I would not like your fingerprints all over my site.  Am I paying you to advertise yourself on my site???

Fair enough.

My clients have always been phyched to help and have never mentioned having a problem with it. If they ever requested it be removed it obviously would. And with CSS it is very discrete significantly below the page and appears as one link.

In other words, fingerprints all over the site is apparently not the way they see it (albeit, i understand your point). I'd like to think it's more that my clients think they love their site, got / get great service, and for those visiting their site, they would be happy to be able to recommend me to others.

My concern, though, is the ramifications for SEO purposes .

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,984 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 05:54 PM

If this were just a paragraph on your own site that pointed to other pages in your site, there would be nothing wrong with it, and in fact it would be a good thing as it would be nice call-to-action links for your visitors.

It seems to me if this were something you put simply on the home page of your client's site, with their full knowledge and permission of course, there shouldn't be anything inherently wrong with it. Either for the site visitors or the search engines. Having it on each page of their site might be a bit much, but more for the users then the search engines.

Jill

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!