• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Using Nofollow Tag On Your Own Internal Links?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
122 replies to this topic

#61 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:16 AM

Lastly, how some do not see the logic and reasoning how this tactic is beneficial is beyond me. If I have a PR6 home page passing PR onto only 3 pages rather than 50, how they can say it is not beneficial to those 3 pages blows my mind. It's like having an outside webpage with a PR6 and only 3 links on it linking to me.

For me, it's not the doing of that where I would have a problem, it's simply the using of the rel=nofollow for it.

That's what Robots.txt exclusions are for.

But again, it will make absolutely, positively no difference at all to your ultimate positions in the search engines, nor your traffic, and certainly not to your conversions/sales whether you do it with rel=nofollow, robots.txt, javascript links, or not at all.

You will definitely not see any differences whatsoever. So have at it!

#62 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:37 AM

Also, if you have 50 links on a page and you only want to "vote" for three of them, you should ask yourself if the other 47 links need to be there at all.

#63 Robert813

Robert813

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:42 AM

I was just stressing the point using 3 and 50 as parameters

#64 sonnyyu

sonnyyu

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:43 AM

Also, if you have 50 links on a page and you only want to "vote" for three of them, you should ask yourself if the other 47 links need to be there at all. -Alan

for user accessbility?

just guess.

#65 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:47 AM

I would personally be worried about doing what you're proposing to do Robert. More than Alan's warning in fact.

The search engines are always trying to sort out Intent. rel="nofollow" in my view gives them a solid place to measure intent. So if we follow the base assumption that you don't consider links that contain nofollow attributes to not be worthy or valuable, and you're applying that to pages on your own site...

If I were a search engine I might be convinced to decide that the entire site was not very worthy. It's a very, very dangerous game to play IMO. One that could bite you in a big way at some point.

#66 Robert813

Robert813

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:47 AM

exactly Sonny...that could be a very viable possibilty. The 4 pages (including my homepage) draws them into the site and then once there they have access to the remainder.

Glad to see someone is on my side..LOL

#67 Robert813

Robert813

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:51 AM

Perhaps I should err on the side of conservatism and use the robots.txt. You all seem to be so cautionary on this. I'm not sure I'm 100% convinced but I'm not a hammer head either...just slightly stubborn and a LEO. You all have much more experience at this than myself.

#68 sonnyyu

sonnyyu

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:12 PM

GoogleGuy responds to a member reporting that Google spiders were not obeying robots.txt and NOINDEX tags

www.markcarey.com/googleguy-says/archives/discuss-google-ignoring-robotstxt-and-noindex.html

zz.gif

#69 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:16 PM

It may be that we're being so conservative because nofollow is new. We know that the major search engines respect the robots exclusion protocol, and we know that what you're talking about doing is exactly what robots.txt is for.

We don't yet know how search engines are going to treat nofollow, or even if they're all going to treat it the same way. So why use it when there's a perfect alternative?

#70 sonnyyu

sonnyyu

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:23 PM

"Google spiders were not obeying"="a perfect alternative" ?

eek.gif

#71 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:46 PM

OK, "perfect" is the wrong work to use when you're dealing with computers. They're never perfect. But GG does theorize about why this might have happened, and I can tell you that I have never had a page I'd blocked from spiders indexed by any of the major search engines. Have you? Has anyone here?

#72 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(sonnyyu)
GoogleGuy responds to a member reporting that Google spiders were not obeying robots.txt and NOINDEX tags
That's completely misleading. Googlebot does obey robots.txt. However, if you change the robots.txt file later then you can see a misalignment between what Google has indexed and what the current robots.txt file permits. That's true of any search engine.

The same thing would happen with rel=nofollow links, too, if you changed them after the page they were on was visited by Googlebot.

There is no connection between what you are saying and what we are recommending. It's a complete non sequitur.

#73 sonnyyu

sonnyyu

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE(Alan Perkins @ Sep 27 2005, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE(sonnyyu)
That's completely misleading. Googlebot does obey robots.txt. However, if you change the robots.txt file later then you can see a misalignment between what Google has indexed and what the current robots.txt file permits. That's true of any search engine.

The same thing would happen with rel=nofollow links, too, if you changed them after the page they were on was visited by Googlebot.

There is no connection between what you are saying and what we are recommending. It's a complete non sequitur.
View Post

"misalignment" <> " not obeying" ?

go misalignment somebody bank account, and see what will be happaned!

eek.gif

#74 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE(sonnyyu @ Sep 27 2005, 07:13 PM)
"misalignment" <> " not obeying" ?
Yes, that's right. Misalignment is not the same as not obeying.

#75 abandon

abandon

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 12:32 PM

I've been reading this thread intently as it's the closest that I've come to a discussion that will answer a query of my own. Sorry to bring this back up if any of you were bored of hammering on at the same point (I could see a few of you were).

My example is this,

I have a site selling a variety of products. About a thousand or so. On top of homepage and product/category content pages that make up the directory structure of the site, there are a couple of pages that concern registered users (login, basket, etc.) and company info pages (privacy policy, contact us, etc.).

The way the site is designed, all pages link to the pages concerning the registered users and the company info pages via left-hand and footer navigations.

If I left those links on each page so they were visible to a user and gave the site a uniform look but somehow blocked a search engine from navigating through them from every page but a sitemap linked from the homepage, would this be beneficial, detrimental or negligible in effect with regards to good link structure around the site?

Would this also be a valid case for using the REL=NOFOLLOW tag or would there be another more favourable, more trusted method of doing this?

I do want to allow every page to be indexed hence the sitemap but want to curb the importance of pages such as the privacy policy in the eyes of a search engine.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!