• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Some Forum Links Won't Work For Me

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 meta

meta

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 09:56 AM

I notice that messages from this forum with links ending "&view=getnewpost" won't work for me, and I've had some other situations where I get 404 errors when posting messages, although the messages always posted correctly. I think the errors occur when the forum tries to return me to the thread where I posted. Doug Heil's forums use links with similar endings, they don't work for me, either. I've tried loosening my security settings, but I still have this problem. This problem only occurs at my office, the same links work fine at my home, although I have checked that I was using the same level of security at both locations. In both cases, my current level of security is medium in Internet Explorer, so both should accept the same cookies.

Does anyone have a clue of how these links work and what I might do to correct the problem?

#2 Bernard

Bernard

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 12:52 PM

I would guess that it might be a cookie issue.

#3 meta

meta

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 01:03 PM

I would guess that also, however the usual way of controlling that is through security settings in the browser. The same security settings in two locations are giving me different results.

#4 meta

meta

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 09:20 AM

Yesterday, I noticed that these links were working. Not only here, but also on Doug Heil's Free Search Engine Optimization Forums.

Earlier in the day, I had gone through my cookie file and deleted most of the cookies - I did not think I was deleting cookies from either of these forums, but I guess I removed some of them, and now the problem is solved. So if anyone has the same problem, the good news is that it can be solved by deleting cookies, and the bad news is that if you delete all your cookies, you'll have to reenter userids and passwords and so forth on sites that use them.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 09:26 AM

Not only here, but also on Doug Heil's Free Search Engine Optimization Forums.

Off-topic, but I believe Doug's forum is no longer named that, and is now the "Best Practices Search Engine Optimization Forum."

:unsure:

Jill

#6 meta

meta

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for telling me. Here I thought I was being so fastidious about the name, and I was way off. "Best Practices" sounds much nicer, anyway.

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,608 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 09:40 AM

Yes, it's still named IHelpYou, but page titles and email subject lines are now "Best Practices" rather than "Free".

#8 Gobslam

Gobslam

HR 1

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 03:00 PM

This problem only occurs at my office

Are you connecting through a firewall at the office? The one we are subjected to at work causes all sorts of problems because of the way sys admin have it set up. Just a thought. Doesn't explain the 404s though.

#9 meta

meta

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 03:07 PM

Yes, I do connect through a firewall, but it generally does not cause problems. There have been some situations where I had trouble with certain pages, and though I don't know why I had trouble only at the office and not at home, I have in some cases discovered coding problems with the sites, and correcting the code did away with any troubles that I had viewing the pages. We do seem to have some issues here, but I don't get the impression that the firewall is the source.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!