• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Paying For Links

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#46 Eventtrips.nl

Eventtrips.nl

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 05:50 AM

Hi there,

I very very Nobish at this search thing, but I heard he best way is too use links too and from other sites. paying or not paying, but how do you know if that site will generate you enough traffic. is it not better to post your own links on mayor discusiongroups, forums or startpages.

[ live link and contact removed: Please see [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules]Forum Rules[/url] ]
thanks

Edited by chrishirst, 25 October 2005 - 08:17 AM.

#47 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:14 AM

We should start a grass roots campaign to get Yahoo!, DMOZ, and Google to implement the NOFOLLOW attribute in all the outbound links in their directories.

While people don't pay DMOZ for listings, it would only be fair if Yahoo! had to comply with the demand that they put REL=NOFOLLOW on all their paid links.

#48 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:16 AM

is it not better to post your own links on mayor discusiongroups, forums or startpages.

Not when it's against the rules of those forums. ranting.gif

#49 amabaie

amabaie

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:03 AM

Jill, there is quite a discongruity between your smiling avatar and the enraged icon. lmao.gif It made my day!

#50 misohoni

misohoni

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:54 PM

I think it's worthwhile to pay for links -

Increasing your PR if on a high PR site
Increasing your popularity and searchability to users also.

#51 interval

interval

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:34 PM

Misohoni is right, my experience shows that it's worthwhile to pay for links if you take care to find related (as much as is possible) sites.

#52 BathGems

BathGems

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 04:47 PM

How do you know that Google doesn't, at some point, see shotgun paid advertising as a positive attribute showing the business has spent a considerable amount of sustained effort and resources to get noticed.

What if there were some tipping point where the other side of the sandbox was SEO nirvana?

Ponder that Mr. Spock! Bwa hahahaha!

#53 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:33 PM

How do you know that Google doesn't, at some point, see shotgun paid advertising as a positive attribute showing the business has spent a considerable amount of sustained effort and resources to get noticed.

We don't know that.

But since Google's original way of judging sites was based on votes not who has the most money, it seems like a good bet that it won't happen the way you mention!

#54 BathGems

BathGems

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:40 PM

For the little things that you steal they put you in jail

For the big things you steal they make you king.

#55 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:01 PM

Right before some angry stockholder drags you off into a dark alley and beats you to a pulp for stealing their retirement income. lol.gif

#56 amabaie

amabaie

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:13 PM

In America stuffing the ballot box puts you in Jail. In Iran, it makes you the world's most dangerous lunatic. Where is Google based?

#57 alan

alan

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Oct 25 2005, 10:14 AM)
We should start a grass roots campaign to get Yahoo!, DMOZ, and Google to implement the NOFOLLOW attribute in all the outbound links in their directories.

While people don't pay DMOZ for listings, it would only be fair if Yahoo! had to comply with the demand that they put REL=NOFOLLOW on all their paid links.
View Post

Okay, that brings up a question for me. I'm very new at this, so I'm going to just add that comment to my "everyone is entitled to their own opinion" basket. But pretty soon links won't have any meaning in SEO because all of them will have been eliminated from the formula because they are paid, or spammy, etc.

From what I've been reading here and elsewhere, Google's current search algorithm is based on TrustRank, which places additional authority on human-reviewed, trusted sites. I assume that means the top named directories which I've seen listed on other parts of this forum.

Based on that information, I've gotten my site listed in about a dozen of the top directories, including Yahoo! I applied for DMOZ but there is a long wait.

So my question is this: Is it a good idea to continue to list my site in more of these top directories and pay the $40.00 - $70.00 fee for each link? Several of my directory links have ended up on PR 4 and PR 5 pages (some on PR 0 pages as well). Or am I better off spending my money on a good dinner?

How long should it take for Google (which is now recognizing my site for the less popular search terms in my industry, including a #1 spot, but not for the popular terms) to recognize these directory links?

#58 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:42 PM

Do they bring you traffic? If so, does it make you more than the cost of the directory submission?

That should really be your criteria as it's impossible to measure any SEO ranking significance (for the most part) from directory links. There's really not a good way of determining their value in that way.

Traffic and conversions should be the things you're looking at.

#59 Debra

Debra

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:41 PM

So my question is this: Is it a good idea to continue to list my site in more of these top directories and pay the $40.00 - $70.00 fee for each link?.... Or am I better off spending my money on a good dinner?

Depends on where you go to dinner..... biggrin.gif

I'd recommend them Alan, submitting to the directories is a good way to get your link building campaign started. It wouldn't be the only link tactic I use, but they're good links to begin with.

#60 alan

alan

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE(Debra @ Sep 7 2006, 10:41 PM)
Depends on where you go to dinner..... biggrin.gif

I'd recommend them Alan,  submitting to the directories is a good way to get your link building campaign started.  It wouldn't be the only link tactic I use, but  they're good links to begin with.
View Post

Hi Debra,

Thanks for your input. I have over 500 links that show up when I search for them. Some are reciprocal. All of my reciprocal links are from sites that are either relevant to my topic. I have spent many, many long nights on this project.

The rest, thousands of which have not been indexed yet, are from some of my original articles that have been re-published on ezines, blogs, and other websites. If I search on the titles of these articles, they show up. However, if I search on just my url, (which is in each reprinted article) the count is far less. I started publishing these articles a few months ago, but got serious about it within the past month or so. I do see some of the url's (for my site) from those articles starting to show up in searches now.

So at this point, do you still think that purchasing listings in directories is worth the money? I'm not trying to get you to talk me out of spending the money. I just don't want to spend money if it won't do much good.

Jill, as far as whether or not I'm making money on these directory listings, it's too early to tell. I am getting traffic from many of them, which has surprised me. And yes, my main purpose for getting them is SEO rankings. But I am thrilled when I make a sale from one of these listings. And I have also been thrilled and excited to have made several sales from reciprocal links that are on other hypnosis sites. I guess it really surprises me that people actually use those links.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!