• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Holy Google Adsense!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#16 robertclough

robertclough

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE(jspope @ Aug 22 2005, 09:20 PM)
I also thought JeremyH gave good advice regarding TOS and the preview tool. Also appreciated were his kind words of sympathy to freetrades. I feel the same way.

Oops, missed that. Yes, that was great advice regarding the preview tool. And, I too am sympathatic towards freetrades' situation because I don't think he was trying to commit fraud.

That's why I suggested that he not try and "fight" it. Instead, take a friendlier approach, be totally honest and we'll all hope he is reinstated.

#17 robertclough

robertclough

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:58 PM

Robert, you are just too honest and nice! lol.gif

Nope, just self preservation. Kids are like pirahnas. It's not a good idea to let them get too hungry.

QUOTE(searchrank @ Aug 22 2005, 09:47 PM)
Now I just go to Robert's sites and click on his ads. wink.gif

EEEK, no, everyone stay away from my sites!! omg.gif

Er, well you know what I mean.

#18 SearchRank

SearchRank

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE(robertclough @ Aug 22 2005, 07:58 PM)
Nope, just self preservation.  Kids are like pirahnas.  It's not a good idea to let them get too hungry.

OFFTOPIC:
Wait till they become teenagers... especially boys! lol.gif

#19 robertclough

robertclough

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE(searchrank @ Aug 22 2005, 10:03 PM)
OFFTOPIC:
Wait till they become teenagers... especially boys!  lol.gif

View Post

The groceries cost how much?! eek.gif Ahh, the teenage years... I think I'll just put that out of my mind for now. unsure.gif

#20 SearchRank

SearchRank

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE(JeremyH)
I have read the TOS. I also read the Microsoft Windows operating system license agreement. I don't remember what it says, much less what it means. My point: Unless you are a lawyer with a photographic memory, you probably don't either.

QUOTE(robertclough)
The Windows operating system license doesn't impact my revenue. The AdSense TOS can.

That is a very good point. It is amazing how quickly this thread has grown. I think AdSense has become very important to many of us especially those of us who had sites that formerly made little profit and now are earning very good profits because of AdSense. Heck some of you are earning a nice living.

That being said I think a very important lesson can be learned here and that is to abide by Google's TOS regarding AdSense. It is one thing to neglect their TOS regarding their index and SEO. Spammers that get busted can often find another way to successfully spam.

But when you have an established site that now can earn a good profit because of AdSense - it is certainly not something to mess with. I know I have been working on my particular site where I run AdSense for eight years now and it has taken me that long to get it to where it is. It is not that easy to start over if all of a sudden Google decides not to allow "that domain" to participate in AdSense any longer.

Good thread! I feel another article coming. wink.gif

#21 AaronNimocks

AaronNimocks

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:52 AM

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on this matter. You have inspired me to do something that I wasnt planning on doing just to get the answer if they supply me with one.

I will kindly write Google and asked them to provide me the reasons for being dropped from Adsense and admit that I know I broke the TOS by clicking on an add but would just like to confirm that this is the sole reason for being dropped. But it will probably take 6-8 weeks for a response if I get one.

#22 jspope

jspope

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:15 AM

Hi Robert!

QUOTE(robertclough @ Aug 22 2005, 10:16 PM)
It a matter of being proactive and protecting a revenue source...

I consider AdSense to be a very important revenue source.  I'm proactive in protecting that.  I'm also an AdWords advertiser and I would hope Google takes a very hard line with TOS violations."

I see your points and agree.

If makes sense to take reasonable steps to keep a client or income stream. Also, Google is trying to protect its advertisers from fraud.

On the other hand, this emphasizes an important lesson for all businesses.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

First: Always have multiple income streams. Then, if one income source fails for whatever reason you're still in business.

Second: Always have multiple suppliers. Example: If the post office goes on strike, how will you deliver your orders? Try United Parcel Service. Second example: If a supplier becomes very unreasonable in its demands, you can switch suppliers.

Regards,

Stephen :-)

#23 jspope

jspope

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:39 AM

Hi Robert!

QUOTE(robertclough @ Aug 22 2005, 10:46 PM)
The Windows operating system license doesn't impact my revenue.  The AdSense TOS can.

The AdSense TOS are not terribly complicated.  For the most part, they are very simple and common sense, IMO.

View Post

The Windows operating system license might impact on your revenue if you violate it and Microsoft Corporation catches you. smile.gif

I'm not actually disagreeing with you because this emphasizes your point that if you make an agreement (license, Terms of Service, et cetera), you should keep it.

I understand most of the AdSense TOS. There again, I'm a lawyer with a photographic memory. (Just kidding! smile.gif )

Regards,

Stephen :-)

#24 robertclough

robertclough

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:06 AM

Excellent point!

By the way, our discussion comes at a good time because AdSense terms have been updated again.

#25 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

HR 6

• 963 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 01:31 PM

Google publishes a Top Ten list of answers to the perennial What can I do to ensure that my account won't be disabled? question.

The very first item on the list is "Don't click on your own Google ads." smile.gif

#26 vinnie2227

vinnie2227

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(jspope @ Aug 22 2005, 11:20 PM)
I have read the TOS. I also read the Microsoft Windows operating system license agreement. I don't remember what it says, much less what it means. My point: Unless you are a lawyer with a photographic memory, you probably don't either.

View Post

In my opinion, it should be common sense that you should not click on your own ads. Period. Regardless of whether or not you have memorized the TOS.

#27 BobetteKyle

BobetteKyle

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:13 PM

Great points all around. I try to keep up on those TOS because, like David and Robert, I too have a site I've worked hard on and is making a tidy AdSense income. But, it is possible to miss some of the nuances and some terms are subject to interpretation/clarification.

("Don't click on your own ads" isn't a nuance, IMO...but, I certainly understand how the occasional errant click can very easily happen...maybe Robert's suggestion of sending an email after any accidental click is paranoid, but then again how much is that future revenue stream worth to you? Certainly more than the time spent on an email. And if it establishes a history of being attentive to the rules, all the better.) Anyway...
QUOTE(searchrank)
I feel another article coming.
Reading Google's "Top Ten" list and making sure you are up on TOS are good places to start...but YES, DAVID (and ROBERT)...IMO there is a need for some good articles about how to "police" your own account. For example, exactly how to recognize and report suspicious click activity in your Web logs would be a great one.
Always wise advice. That is why I'm loving this ppc trend...the added revenue allows me to spend more time on other "baskets" while keeping a nice cash flow going. biggrin.gif

OFFTOPIC:
Well, more like a sidebar, but we don't have a sidebar thingy, so one must make due wink.gif...
Speaking of keeping up on TOS, did you know it is now OK to tell our gross monthly payments?

#28 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 09:06 PM

Hmnn... I wonder why that change?

#29 projectphp

projectphp

Lost in Translation

• 2,203 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 09:14 PM

Maybe they figure they wil get more business if people report their earnings?

#30 BobetteKyle

BobetteKyle

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:00 AM

That's probably it. Some of the people that are working at improving AdSense revenues are doing very well at it. Plus you got those making money from hobby/personal sites. If people who haven't jumped on start hearing real revenue numbers mentioned, then those people start thinking about the extra $ they can earn, then that means more AdSense business, and so on, and so forth. With Yahoo jumping in as a competitor, makes sense to try to accelerate AdSense demand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!