• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Holy Google Adsense!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 AaronNimocks

AaronNimocks

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:46 PM

So I was using Google Adsense just to test a potential income for one of my sites. I was completely aware that you can get the boot if you simulate clicks to get money. But one day I saw an add while I was looking at my site and without thinking I clicked it. For "1 click!" I got my adsense account removed. Im sure I can fight it and get it back but I dont plan on using it anyways.

But just to share my experience is all it took was 1 click and it was a legit one I really wanted to see the site!!

#2 Leann_Pass

Leann_Pass

Internet Marketing Consultant

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:58 PM

For "1 click!" I got my adsense account removed.

My gosh, are you absolutely certain that THIS "1 click" was the reason? If so then I think that is horrible.

I always thought they just "discounted" clicks that came from those who own the account. I really thought they just showed the click but didn't pay out. That always seemed fair and reasonable to me.

I know that I have, on occassion, clicked on an ad simply because - like you - I was REALLY interested and forgot myself. I have also clicked when I first set them up just to make sure they were working properly (Since I often use includes, I like to make sure I didn't screw something up). There was no fraud involved!

I REALLY hope you are wrong. I think their time would be much better spent catching those who spend hours on end clicking on their competitors ads or paying others to do so.

Hmmm, Uh Oh, and Ick ~ that's what I think about a "1 click" and you're out policy.
Leann
(edited for clarification and spelling - as usual)

Edited by Leann_Pass, 22 August 2005 - 06:25 PM.

#3 AaronNimocks

AaronNimocks

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:02 PM

Heres what they sent me. Basically says I cant click my own site at all.

It has come to our attention that invalid clicks have been generated on
the Google ads on your site(s). We have therefore disabled your Google
AdSense account. Please understand that this step was taken in an
effort to protect the interest of the AdWords advertisers.

A publisher's site may not have invalid clicks on any ad(s), including
but not limited to clicks generated by a publisher on his own web
pages, clicks generated through the use of robots, automated clicking
tools, or any other deceptive software.

Practices such as these are in violation of the Google AdSense Terms
and Conditions and program polices, which can be viewed at:

(took links out)

Publishers disabled for invalid click activity are not allowed further
participation in AdSense and do not receive any further payment. The
earnings on your account will be properly returned to the affected
advertisers.

#4 Leann_Pass

Leann_Pass

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:14 PM

FreeTrades,

I see their letter, and I understand it. I do not, however, see anything about "1 click".

I know you didn't fraudulently click, but could there be some other reason for all this? Off the top of my head I would like to ask- How many are using your IP number? How many others have access to your computer?

Seriously, I wonder if there is something going that you are not aware of. If "1 click" is truly all it takes then I would have received many of those letters.

Leann

#5 oneofthe3lions

oneofthe3lions

Paz

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:36 PM

That does seem a bit of a shocker. I click on ads inadvertantly sometimes as we all do when a genuine head turner ad makes you do so, my belief also was that I wont be running up anybody's bills as they are discounted..

To be downright honest I cant see that happening unless there were already flags waving!

#6 SearchRank

SearchRank

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:11 PM

I've clicked on AdSense from my site as well and have never received any slaps form Google. Maybe something else was going on. Did they show you any evidence?

If you did actually click one time and your AdSense privileges were revoked, maybe there is a Barney Fife type over at Google that just happened to run across one of your accounts.

I had a similar thing happen with AdWords where someone disabled one of my ads because I have a Google logo on my site. However they did not disable all my other ads for the same site. What did I do? Kill the Ad Group and create a new one with same ad and same keyword phrase and it is still live today. Go figure. wacko.gif

#7 jspope

jspope

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:33 PM

Hi!

So what you do is copy and paste the URL and go directly there. (And I don't mean on just your own pages, if you get my drift!)

No click penalty. And no advertising revenue for Google.

That should stop that nonsense! smile.gif

Regards,

Stephen :-)

#8 JeremyH

JeremyH

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:58 PM

I can't stress how important it is to read the Terms of Service you agree to when you create an account.

To anybody else who uses AdSense and is still in the program, Google makes a special Preview Tool you can use to follow links that will not be in violation of the ToS.

FreeTrades, I'm sorry that you are no longer in the program.

#9 robertclough

robertclough

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(JeremyH @ Aug 22 2005, 06:58 PM)
I can't stress how important it is to read the Terms of Service you agree to when you create an account.

That is excellent advice! In fact, a regular revue of the TOS is extremely important. ANY clicks on your own ads, even if you are really interested, or just testing the ads, etc. is a violation of the TOS.

If you accidentally click on an ad on your own site while crusing around too fast, stop and drop Google a quick email letting them know about your mistake. They are very forgiving of mistakes.

But one day I saw an add while I was looking at my site and without thinking I clicked it. For "1 click!" I got my adsense account removed. Im sure I can fight it and get it back but I dont plan on using it anyways.

No, you can't fight it and get back in. Wrong approach.

But, if you email them, admit to breaking the rules, apologize for the violation of the terms of service and nicely ask to be reinstated, you may get a positive response.

#10 ewc21

ewc21

Hong Kong SEO

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:59 PM

I have received a warning letter from Adsense last year but I still do use Adsense. I am just wary of that "one click strike policy" if the click was legit (or a series of clicks from a visitor who wants to click a series of ads in the same page).

We have no control over it, right?

That Preview Tool is interesting, JeremyH. I'll take a look at it. Thanks for that.

#11 Leann_Pass

Leann_Pass

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 09:30 PM

If you accidentally click on an ad on your own site while crusing around too fast, stop and drop Google a quick email letting them know about your mistake.

Robert, as much as I know you are probably right, what is the point of this?? Do you see one - seriously, do you? The problem with fraudulent clicks is not coming from innocent 1-time clickers. I think that is extremely OBVIOUS.

I have been running adsense ads (for myself and others) on many sites for over 2 years. I have NEVER had a problem, never had a warning. Doing the big -stop and drop- just to ensure that G is aware that I was merely checking my ads seems just plain silly to me.

Leann

#12 robertclough

robertclough

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE(Leann_Pass @ Aug 22 2005, 08:30 PM)
Robert, as much as I know you are probably right, what is the point of this?? Do you see one - seriously, do you?

It a matter of being proactive and protecting a revenue source. I've been moving through my site quickly and accidentally clicked an ad. I immediately backed up, copied the ad, and emailed Google with the information. They send back a nice friendly form letter which I tuck away in case there is any future need for it.

The problem with fraudulent clicks is not coming from innocent 1-time clickers. I think that is extremely OBVIOUS.

Unless it's accidental, 1-time clickers are not innocent.

I'm really not approaching this from the click fraud angle. I really don't think it was freetrades' intent to commit fraud. It's a matter of his not taking the time to read the rules of the program in which he is involved.

Doing the big -stop and drop- just to ensure that G is aware that I was merely checking my ads seems just plain silly to me.

Actually, the big stop and drop was in case of an accidental click.

If you are checking your own ads, then you are knowingly (at this point) violating the TOS. You don't need to click ads on your site to know if they are working. Wait 30 minutes and check your stats.

I consider AdSense to be a very important revenue source. I'm proactive in protecting that. I'm also an AdWords advertiser and I would hope Google takes a very hard line with TOS violations.

Maybe I am being a nervous nellie, but that's me. cheers.gif

#13 jspope

jspope

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:20 PM

Hi!

I also thought JeremyH gave good advice regarding TOS and the preview tool. Also appreciated were his kind words of sympathy to freetrades. I feel the same way.

I have read the TOS. I also read the Microsoft Windows operating system license agreement. I don't remember what it says, much less what it means. My point: Unless you are a lawyer with a photographic memory, you probably don't either.

Besides, it has changed (again)! Just to refresh my memory, I returned to study the TOS and was asked to accept the new TOS (again). The document incorporates hyperlinked references (which form part of the agreement). It's certainly long enough; it has also been translated into legalese for your reading enjoyment. smile.gif

Also, clicking an URL is almost subconsciously done. Anyone could (and does) make that mistake(?). (Funny! If YOU do it, it's a mistake. If someone else does it, you're rewarded. smile.gif )

I have multiple computers connected to the Internet. Sometimes I have clients, friends, or other visitors using my computers. I don't presume to control whether or not they can click on a Google ad or not. In fact, why should I be penalized if they do so? (All of my computers' browsers are set at MY home page.)

Finally, keep in mind that Google is not the only game in town.

By the way, I am NOT anti-Google. I like Google.

I understand why they can't pay out on clicks originating from your own computer. With the technology available, I see no reason why they can't exclude those clicks. Maybe they do and this is some sort of misunderstanding.

Regards.

Stephen :-)

#14 robertclough

robertclough

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE(jspope @ Aug 22 2005, 09:20 PM)
I have read the TOS. I also read the Microsoft Windows operating system license agreement. I don't remember what it says, much less what it means. My point: Unless you are a lawyer with a photographic memory, you probably don't either.

The Windows operating system license doesn't impact my revenue. The AdSense TOS can.

The AdSense TOS are not terribly complicated. For the most part, they are very simple and common sense, IMO.

Also, clicking an URL is almost subconsciously done. Anyone could (and does) make that mistake(?).

I agree, subconsciously clicking an ad is totally understandable and that is why I advised dropping Google a quick note.

(Funny! If YOU do it, it's a mistake.  If someone else does it, you're rewarded. smile.gif )

If it really is a mistake, drop an email and it's no big deal. It you are intentionally doing it, stop clicking your own ads and I'd advise sending an email in that case as well.

If someone else clicks an ad on your site, you should be rewarded.

I have multiple computers connected to the Internet. Sometimes I have clients, friends, or other visitors using my computers. I don't presume to control whether or not they can click on a Google ad or not. In fact, why should I be penalized if they do so? (All of my computers' browsers are set at MY home page.)

I have multiple computers sitting in the living room and I have small children who are naturally curious. But, that's not Google's problem. It's MY job to adhere to the TOS if I want to continue to earn revenue from AdSense.

I do not have the computers that aren't password protected set to my home page. I will do what is necessary to protect that revenue stream.

Finally, keep in mind that Google is not the only game in town. 

True, that's why I'm testing another search engine's program. smile.gif

I understand why they can't pay out on clicks originating from your own computer. With the technology available, I see no reason why they can't exclude those clicks. Maybe they do and this is some sort of misunderstanding.

Hey, you may be right. They may exclude those clicks. I don't know.

But I do know that the TOS forbids clicking on your own ads, regardless of what they may or may not be able to exclude. Until they remove that from the TOS, I'm taking the safest route possible.

As I mentioned before, I may be considered overly paranoid but I count on that revenue. Those kids won't stop eating! tongue.gif

#15 SearchRank

SearchRank

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE(robertclough @ Aug 22 2005, 07:16 PM)
If you are checking your own ads, then you are knowingly (at this point) violating the TOS.  You don't need to click ads on your site to know if they are working.  Wait 30 minutes and check your stats.

Maybe I am being a nervous nellie, but that's me.  cheers.gif

Robert, you are just too honest and nice! lol.gif

No, but seriously I have clicked on a few ads in the past... that is until I read something that I think Robert had wrote about not clicking on your own AdSense ads because it does indeed violate TOS. I never read the TOS. Are you kidding me? I am so used to installing software and skipping right thru the legal mumble jumble.

However after I read one of the tips that Robert had written after attending an AdSense webinar, I have not clicked on one because I too consider AdSense to be a good income source for the sites I run it on and I do not want to lose AdSense privileges.

Now I just go to Robert's sites and click on his ads. wink.gif

[just kidding.. of course]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!