• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Pandia Announcement Of Our Forum

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,882 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 03:34 PM

Pandia just announced the High Rankings Forum.

Here's what they wrote:

New search engine optimization forum
(August 3 2003) Well known search engine marketing expert Jill Whalen has launched the new High Rankings Search Engine Optimization Forum.

Now, the first questions that comes to mind is whether we need yet another forum of this kind. There are after all quite a few of them already (see left hand margin of this page for a list). Jill has herself been actively involved in I Help You Forums and Cre8asite forums.

We find it very hard to keep track of discussions taking place in all of them, and often long for a simpler landscape.

On the other hand: Discussion boards like these are very much like pubs, the fact that there is one there already doesn't mean that there isn't room for one more: A different atmosphere for a different clientelle.

However, some of these forums will soon die out because of lack of debattants, and some of them has a very similar profile.

Still, High Rankings Forum may actually turn out to be one of the survivors. Jill herself is very good at making SEO understandable for beginners. Moreover, she has recruited experts like MakeMeTop and Robert Clough as moderators, people that will give the site added value.

Jill

#2 Matt B

Matt B

The modem is the message.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 03:57 PM

interesting:

i especially noted this comment:

We find it very hard to keep track of discussions taking place in all of them, and often long for a simpler landscape.

I guess we're just making life that much harder for them, eh?

:D

Matt

#3 Tawnya

Tawnya

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 04:14 PM

I agree there are a lot of discussion boards on this subject since when I went searching to find one to join, I found tons. Not knowing which one to choose, I decided to lurk for awhile. I chose this group because I found that they didn't ignore newbie's requests for info and everyone seemed to be welcomed. Every newbie must start somewhere to learn. I also think Jill is a good mentor for me in my journey here after researching her website/articles and we all need those in our life for incentive/inspiration.

Tawnya

#4 glengara

glengara

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 04:25 PM

I can see his point.
As a forum addict, I love the way WW is 24/7, yet I prefer the attitude of IHUF.
Now if we could combine both.....
<added>"debattants" I like that, is that a combination of debutants and combatants?</added>

Edited by glengara, 03 August 2003 - 04:32 PM.

#5 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 05:20 PM

LOL- I finally decided it was "debaters" and "combattants" combined... :learn:

To me, this sums it up:

On the other hand: Discussion boards like these are very much like pubs, the fact that there is one there already doesn't mean that there isn't room for one more: A different atmosphere for a different clientelle.

But I do wish people would spellcheck before they publish! clientele- argh!

#6 Bill Slawski

Bill Slawski

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 10:35 PM

Well, the author might have been on a bit of a pub crawl before submitting that one. :D

<added -- Some other errors in there that are actually pretty bad. The article has kind of a grim outlook, too. I like that there are a number of different flavors of forums, and it is a might big world. It could be early to be reporting on the demise of any one forum. I will say this though -- best wishes and best regards to all the forum owners out there who care enough about others that they have build a place to help others get together and learn from one another. -->

Edited by bragadocchio, 03 August 2003 - 10:54 PM.

#7 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 06:46 AM

The folks at Pandia are Norwegians, so English isn't their first language. (Though, I was in Norway, and from the way most of them under 30 talk, you wouldn't know that.)
There are a lot of forums. I only participate in four. There are different questions I'll ask in each one because I'll get a different kind of answer in each one. But so far, this one is my favorite. ^.^
I don't really feel sorry for them in their attempts to keep up with it all. Some of the times when you get newsletter summaries of the forums you sort of wonder why. One week they were all threads from one forum and I wondered if the author (I forget which one it was) had had time to go look at the other ones.

#8 projectphp

projectphp

Lost in Translation

• 2,203 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 12:12 AM

[ One week they were all threads from one forum and I wondered if the author (I forget which one it was) had had time to go look at the other ones.

I know who that was - Robert Clough. His stuff is good, dragonlady, really good. His site is awesome to, check it out: Search Engine Guide.

#9 paulbedford

paulbedford

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 04:47 AM

Robert Clough provided a link to the Pandia article in his Search Engine Guide Newsletter today. That's why I'm here.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,882 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 07:47 AM

And we're glad you decided to drop by, Paul! Welcome. :rofl:

Jill

#11 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 08:05 AM

Oh, I read Robert Clough's thingy every... week, is it? I'm on a bunch of mailing lists. I like it, generally. The bit with all of the featured threads being from one place stuck in my mind separately from where I'd seen it.
*shrug*
I guess it's handy to have the most important threads summarized if you're not always on the boards yourself. :rofl: You mean, there's an alternative to spending so much time on here? No! Be still my heart.

#12 viz

viz

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 08:44 PM

Now, the first questions that comes to mind is whether we need yet another forum of this kind. There are after all quite a few of them already

Jill - I have to say I initially had similar thoughts to the guys at Pandia. "Not another SEO / SEM forum! When will it end..."

But because you were behind it I decided to check it out and wasn't disappointed. It's great! No surprises there of course :D

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,882 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:50 PM

Jill - I have to say I initially had similar thoughts to the guys at Pandia. "Not another SEO / SEM forum! When will it end..."

Actually, that was part of my original announcement of the forum in my newsletter. I said something like, "I know the last thing the Internet needs is another SEO forum...but...."!

So yes, I also agree.

But I do think we are different. We have expert moderators. And we're certainly the best looking bunch of people I've ever seen! :hehe:

Jill

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!