• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Health Insurance

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#16 deborah2002

deborah2002

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 01:07 PM

Well, for what it's worth, we need to do something about the insurance the DOCTORS need for malpractice. Granted, physicians should be responsible if something happens through their own neglect, but let's face it: bad things happen and they can't always be controlled. Because of our litigation happy society, we all have to pay 2 times as much for 1/2 the care. JMO

That is my political stance for the day....

deb

#17 stoli

stoli

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 01:16 PM

That is true.

It all is part of the vicious cycle. Insurance blames Laywers. Lawyers blame doctors. Doctors blame them all.

On top of all that there are the drug manufacturers with their pokers in the fire.

That is my RANT of the day. omg

#18 meta

meta

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 08:35 PM

Did anyone talk with the people at Blue Cross Blue Shield? I have their Blue Advantage PPO coverage through a group plan, and it is the best coverage I've ever had. Even as a group plan, it is expensive, but it's totally worth it to me.

#19 stoli

stoli

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 07:37 AM

I did get some info in on the BCBS policy.

They seem to offer a lot of options through the different plans.

Unfortunately, I have some pre-existing conditions that are making my quest for an affordable policy difficult.

#20 meta

meta

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 10:58 AM

Health insurance is a significant expense even for group policies - I think we are now paying a couple of hundred dollars a month in addition to the employer contribution (which is generous) for our family policy.

#21 BigJimbo

BigJimbo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 03:24 PM

If you snoop around you'll find that each city has organizations that provide health insurance to individuals by including them into their group. In my city I joined a Jewish cultural group even though I'm a Methodist. They have several different health plans and all are affordable - except in the case of prexisting conditions.

Some cities also have small business groups that were organized for the single purpose of lumping together the self-employed to quality for health insurance. Their membership fees may be high (around $400 per year) but the insurance rates are very good and so is the service.

BUT - If you have a health problem - you're lost as in this country only the healthy get insurance.

Regardz...

- Jimbo :aloha:

#22 meta

meta

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 03:29 PM

I just took a look at the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce and see that they have some programs for health insurance discounts. Some of my professional societies do this also. Check with your own chamber of commerce and some professional societies, it can't hurt. You might find some insurance options, and if not, at least you might meet talk to some interesting people in the process.

#23 Haystack

Haystack

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 05:17 PM

I checked out the BCBS policies as well and figured out the trick to getting cheap coverage:
  • Be Young
  • Don't Smoke
  • Be in a financial position to afford a high deductible
  • Make sure you're not susceptible to any addictions
  • Have no pre existing conditions
  • Don't get sick
It's really that simple.

#24 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,608 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 05:32 PM

Well, my checklist is nice and clean... no checks to mess things up, that's for sure :thumbup:

Actually, I might be considered "young" by some folks. I'm younger than the pyramids...

#25 Haystack

Haystack

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 05:37 PM

Don't shoot the messenger: you're old enough to have to pay 29% more for health coverage than me. :o

#26 market seeker

market seeker

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 07:40 PM

the Chamber of commerce usually offers group health at a resonable rate.

#27 stoli

stoli

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for the info.

Those are some very good suggestions for me to pursue.

:)

#28 sheriw

sheriw

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 02:44 PM

Like others here, I'm looking into health insurance options since I own my own business. I just talked to someone from the NASE (National Association of the Self Employed) which has a group policy if you join them.
Anyone have any experience with NASE? Are they worth the membership fees, etc? The dental plan sounded decent: $18/month for dental care...health insurance is a bit pricier, at over $200 per person, unless I want to go with a pretty useless sounding "discount plan"....
If only we had national health coverage. I'm not against private insurance or docs, just against worrying about what would happen if I became ill, with no insurance...
Sheri

#29 stoli

stoli

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 03:28 PM

My family is currently enrolled in one of the "useless" policies offered through NASE. It has a very high deductable and then once that is met does not cover 100%

Hopefully, the plan you are considering is better than mine. I was talked into it by one of their "salesman", and wished I didnt. That is why I am trying to find another that would actually offer something (like coverage) in return for our monthly premiums.

I also have the dental coverage. This pays about half of what my dentist actually charges. My dentist would rather not deal with NASE so he offers me a slight discount if he doesn't have to file my paperwork and get his money through NASE.

As you may have noticed, I am not pleased with my policy through NASA. That is just my opinion as your case is probably different than mine.

I would suggest getting other quotes and really looking at the details of each one and compare.

I am probably not the best person to answer insurance questions objectably since it is a very hot topic for me now. I pay a small fortune each month between health and business liabilty coverage.

#30 smc_online

smc_online

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 11:13 AM

Hi Stoli.

Have you tried Humana? I found reasonable rates for my demographics. I haven't written on the dotten line per say as I am still shopping.

Here is there link: http://apps.humana.c...landingpage.asp

I hope it helps!

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!