• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Health Insurance

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 stoli

stoli

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 03:19 PM

The biggest obstacle to deciding to work for myself was health insurance. Getting a policy as a small business owner is incredibly expensive. :thumbup:

Does anyone have any good resources for researching self-employed health insurance?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 06:50 PM

Good question. Don't know the answer, however. Luckily, my hubby has good insurance. I know that many organizations can provide health insurance, such as the American Marketing Association, and those types of places. Not sure how much, if anything, you save with them though.

Jill

#3 stoli

stoli

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 08:33 AM

We are also looking into a Medical Savings account. This seems to have some benefits over a standard insurance policy. It also has some drawbacks as well.

It is a gamble either way.

Can anyone shed any experience on a Medical Savings Account?

#4 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 06:28 AM

This is a question that is troubling me as well. I cannot offer any insight, as I have given the matter thought but not research. I wish you luck. Being without health insurance is terrible; I was, last year, and came down with tonsilitis that progressed until I had to fight to breathe and could no longer talk. I finally sought medical care and they were like... here, have a Tylenol and some cheap antibiotics.
Argh! I suffered all that terror and it was (almost) nothing. Oh well... I'd rather it went that way than the alternative.

#5 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 04:32 PM

Supposedly, Blue Cross Blue Shield has insurance for those who are self-employeed. I've never checked into it, though. Like Jill, my hubby has insurance through his work.

Blue Cross Blue Shield

#6 stoli

stoli

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 07:39 AM

OK, thanks for the info.

Insurance sure is a hot topic these days.

Rates are going up, coverage down, and the doctors seem busier than ever.

Who has a clue? :rofl:

#7 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 07:49 AM

So, it looks to me like the best plan is to find yourself a sugar daddy. I don't need mink or diamonds, I just need health insurance.
(Just kidding.) :rofl:

#8 stoli

stoli

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 08:21 AM

That is actually a good point!

I'll have to find a sugar momma out there.

I'll post an ad.

Seeking Sugar Momma for long term relationship.
Need not be pleasant to be around or have a good personality.
MUST have the most JAM up health insurance policy available.
Please send fax of policy.

:rofl:

#9 deborah2002

deborah2002

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 09:24 AM

LOL!
:dance:

deb

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 10:16 AM

Rates are going up, coverage down, and the doctors seem busier than ever.

Off topic, but I spent over 3 freakin hours at the doctors yesterday so 2 of my kids could have physicals. They were running about 2 hours behind and didn't have the common courtesy to simply phone us before hand and tell us not to come in for 2 hours or reschedule.

I'm thinking about billing them my hourly rate, which in some cases may be more than the docs actually make!

:dance:

Jill

#11 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 10:27 AM

Jill... I have said that SAME thing for years! It annoys me to no end to have to wait for hours at the doctor. Are they the only one's whose schedules/time are important? If you could see my "to do" list, you'd say, 'NOT'!

#12 deborah2002

deborah2002

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 10:29 AM

My personal favorite--when my oldest son was 3 months old and all we needed was a "well child" check up--I sad in that darned doctors office for over 2 hours with a bunch of sick kids. I finally got up and left after hearing "the doctor will see you in about 10 minutes" for the 27 time! :dance:

deb

#13 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 11:41 AM

I was lucky with my doctor's appointment. I was the first one that day, and so I sat outside for half an hour until the place opened. My appointment started ten minutes early! I was outta there in no time flat. Very nice.

But you can't always do things that way. On the one hand you feel bad for them because emergencies do arise, and the like, but on the other hand, they should be able to let you know if they're so severely behind schedule!

Having a little insight into the healthcare industry I don't think I want any more insight. It is so complicated and insane behind the scenes that it's a wonder we don't all die waiting for the paperwork.

#14 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 11:46 AM

I agree... emergencies DO arrise. Problems come up that require much longer than expected on their schedule.

But I've never seen a doctor's office yet that didn't have a telephone. They could call and tell you to come later than schedule. It wouldn't take but a minute to make a call. Even if they had 15 patients schedule for the rest of the afternoon, that's only 15-20 minutes of the receptionist's time.

True, though... the earlier in the day you schedule, the more likely you are to have an appointment happen on time.

#15 stoli

stoli

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 01:00 PM

We spent a lot of time at the doctors when our kids were in day care.

Now that they are not anymore, our visits are not as frequent.

You are right, it is not fun being stranded in the waiting room. The worst is being finally called back only to find that you are stranded in the examining room which doesnt have the TOYS to keep your kids entertained that the waiting room had!

All in all, I think they try to do as best as they can.

The whole Health Care profession has some serious issues to deal with. It just seems like prices are just getting way out of control and nothing is able to put them in check. As a result insurance goes up. It just seems like it is a viscious cycle without a remedy.

All I can do is complain because I dont have the answers either.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!