• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Defensive Optimization Strategy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#16 omahonydonnelly

omahonydonnelly

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 05:24 PM

As manager of a site for a local town that has a guestbook, it would help me a lot if SE's would ignore these and maybe people would stop junking up our guestbook. Sometimes it is hard to decide if it is a legitimate post or just to get a link in. I've been thinking of taking out the homepage field, anyway.

#17 Bernard

Bernard

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 06:55 PM

I suppose that guestbook operators could always disallow their guestbook pages using robots.txt or the noindex tag and advertise that fact to help cut down on abuses for their particular guestbook....

#18 Peter

Peter

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 11:24 PM

For sure links from guest books have less influence because they are not put there by the web master. Search engines know this too.

Of course, if you manage to set up a couple of thousand links from guest books it will do some good. But it takes a lot of time to do it.

Search engines will also take into account how often a guest book gets new messages posted in them. If it is just 1 a month it will have a lot less influence than a guest book that gets new messages 50 times a day.

They probably have already good algorithms for it.

Best regards,

Peter

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!