• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

A Site And "sub" Site

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pets

Pets

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 11:35 AM

:thumbup:
Hello,
I have a "Primary site" All Pets Considered which has been built and is hosted by an outside company.
If I need changes made I must get them to make the changes. When they were building the site I told them I'd like an area to be controlled totally by me.

Their solution was a "sub" site. Facts and Fun

The Facts and Fun page has a Primary navigation button pointing to it from the Primary site. There are also reference links within my product descriptions going to the appropriate page in the Facts and Fun site.

In the Facts and Fun site there are reference links back into the Primary site.

Have I gotten myself into a mess? I read an article, http://www.seochat.c...s/14/page2.html
which talks about Google penalties for Link Farming.

Have I accidentally built a Link Farm?

Sorry about being so long winded, and I hope I've been clear!
Thanks.

#2 Thanol

Thanol

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 11:54 AM

No, to become a link farm you need to have tons of links to other sites on different domains on one page. You might want to add descriptions to each of the catagories on Facts and Fun. It reminds me of the dicotimus keys we used in at a field trip to Stone Labs.

#3 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 05:36 PM

Have I accidentally built a Link Farm?

No. :manybounce:

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,980 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 06:43 PM

Like the others said, it's not a problem. And nothing to do with link farming.

You should be fine. :manybounce:

Jill

#5 Pets

Pets

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 06:46 PM

Thank you all !! :manybounce:

Arrgh!! So much to learn!

#6 BarbarasB&B

BarbarasB&B

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 12:16 PM

:) Holy Red Heifer !!
Have I created a link farm??
I have an activties page for people wanting to visit here on vacation. They can check out things to do. It points to business and places. Some link back to me some do not.
If I have I'll kill it in a heart beat.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,980 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 02:02 PM

No, don't worry!

A link farm is not a links page. A link farm is a site that agrees to give you a link if you link to all the other pages that they link to. They will provide you with a page that you have to upload to your site, which you have to keep adding all the new sites to.

Basically, link farms provide you with unrelated sites that you don't care about, and that won't be helpful to your visitors. The links page that you put up serves no other purpose than to give a link to all who participate in the scheme.

They were a dumb idea when the first person thought of them, and they're even more of a dumb idea now.

But a regular page on your site that is a links page where you point to sites you actually like and which will be beneficial to your visitors has nothing to do with a link farm. And the search engines have no problem with these.

Just never link to a site that you don't like or one that provides no value to your visitors and you'll be find. And never, ever participate in a "linking scheme."

Jill

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!