• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Google Adwords Setup Frustration

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#31 razzle

razzle

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 08:04 AM

ha ha no problems :unsure:

#32 compar

compar

Just Purrfect

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 08:19 AM

No I AM talking about Adwords. However perhaps I should have said average position rather than actual.

Razzle,

I really don't think you can do this effectively in AdWords. I would be interested in other opinions.

In my experience as the click through percentage on your ad varies through out the day its position will be changed by Google. I have seen an ad on a single keyword vary in place from from 1 to 4 during the course of a day without any adjustment to the maximum price I have set.

In fact I believe that if your ad is enjoying a high click through rate that Google will charge you less for displaying it.

I am currently running an AdWords campaign with one ad getting displayed against 10 very relevant keyword phrases. My maximum bid is $2.00 and my placement across all these phrases at any time during the day will be between 1 and 6, and my charge per click through will be between $1.60 to $1.98. If I drop my maximum bid to $1.75 I will get less total exposures but I don't think it will mean that I get fewer percentage of exposures in positions 1 and 2.

I just don't think you can control that in AdWords.

#33 razzle

razzle

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 11:43 AM

Hi Compar,

I am, quoting my figures from the forecast and average position that Google gives me. I have found that by upping my maximum bid per click that the average position that Google says I have is increased. I know that this does not mean that I will be at that position all the time and I know that my click through rate does fluctuate throughout the day.

However over a week I found that paying more for my clicks and therefore being at an average number 1 position over a week, I spent 3 times as much money gaining not the same proportion of extra clicks. So I lowered my bids and am now back at an average position 3 with a much lower cost per click and better ROI.

Hope this makes sense.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!