• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Google Adwords Setup Frustration

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#16 BarbarasB&B

BarbarasB&B

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 01:06 PM

DanThies
I read your article and bit the bullet and put together a google adword campaign. Even something as simple as Keywords still escapes me. Such as then developing good copy. I can throw all the pretty pictures and keen graphics on my page but reeling the client in with keywords and then making him/her stay with good content ( skull starts to split), can be unerving.
Maybe I've missed something did anybody mention about using your host sites software which tracts what draws in the hits? I use Interland and they have a pretty good break down of who/what /where/how.
Kevin

#17 DanThies

DanThies

Keyword Super Freak

• 865 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 01:40 PM

To use Adwords effectively as an advertiser, you absolutely have to understand their keyword system, especially the "keyword matching" options. This system allows you to target very specific search terms, and exclude a lot of searches you don't want to advertise on.

In terms of tracking, Clicktracks seems to be the consensus favorite right now. If you want to go cheaper than that, you can get a lot out of the built-in stats from your hosting provider, if they will let you set up subdomains and provide separate stats for the subdomains.

Assuming you can do that, just set up a subdomain like incoming.yourdomain.com. Use robots.txt to keep it from getting accidentally spidered. If you send all of the Adwords visitors to this subdomain, the stats for your subdomain will show all the search terms used to reach it, and you will now know exactly how people got there.

You can put "landing pages" on your subdomain, to track different ad campaigns. You can copy your home page onto it and make all the links point to your main domain. You could also set up a single page that automatically redirects all visitors to your main site.

#18 Pets

Pets

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 09:06 PM

When I started using adwords I was excited by the possibilities and overwhelmed by the same. After a couple of weeks of CRT in the 0.2 - 1.5 range I really started paying attention to exact matches etc. Now I normally have CTR in the 15.0 - 22.5 range and sometimes better. Sure my total clicks are lower, but my sales are up!

Advice to newbies - go for EXACT. Once you can get good CTR on a regular basis you can start going a little more broad with your Keywords.

#19 Haystack

Haystack

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 09:09 PM

Great advice Pets.

Lower clicks ($) but higher overall sales is an admirable situation to be in.

#20 DanThies

DanThies

Keyword Super Freak

• 865 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 09:16 PM

Exact keyword matching and exact phrase matching are both important. Whatever it takes to get the *right* visitors.

You see so much advice on PPC, telling you how to get the "most" visitors, but that's not the way to do it with Adwords. They let you target with precision, so why not do it? The higher click-through rate will move your ads *up,* which means you can pay the same low price, and still get a better position.

#21 peter_d

peter_d

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 10:03 PM

The thing about AdWords is they are trumpeted as being simple, however to get a campaign right is anything but.

1) Before you even start, understand the client's market. There is no short-cut - find out what the customers are searching for, what the vendor is selling, their position in the market, their USP, the prices offered by competitors etc.
2) Read Andrew Goodman's report.
3) Re-read Andrew Goodman's report.
4) Target ruthlessly. You need to be so on-topic it's not funny. And I'm not talking about the SEO definition of on-topic :P

Figure out where in the sales cycle the visitor is i.e. are they just about to buy? Are they researching the product? Are they comparing one product against another?. The phrases people use at each stage of the sales cycle are different. Hint: long specific phrases such as "order sony dvd online free delivery" tend to collect the sales, while searches for "dvd" do not.

Your web copy should mirror the AdWords intention as closely as possible i.e If the visitor is comparing products, send them straight to the compare products page, not the home page.

5) Monitor. Refine. Monitor refine etc.....

AdWords is good relevance training. Being relevant is not just desirable, it's a necessity. People will only likely click on the AdWords if the SERPs don't fit with their intentions.

#22 Jamie

Jamie

HR 1

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE=DanThies,Aug 5 2003, 10:16 PM] The higher click-through rate will move your ads *up,* which means you can pay the same low price, and still get a better position.[/QUOTE]

Hello Dan

Is higher positioning better? I have not done any calculations on this, but it appears that when I have my Google ad at the bottom third of the first page it does better than being on the top third. I then end up lowering my bid so I do not go up. Has anyone else had similar results?
Could the factor be that the viewer initially focuses in at the top ranked results first and then as he scrolls down and gets acquainted with the make up of the search results he opens his eyes to the meager ads to right? :aloha:

Jamie

Engage The Exotic[

#23 compar

compar

Just Purrfect

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 05:25 PM

I did the same in germany to google.de: they only have the credit card for payments. I wrote 2 mails, but I got the same answer: --"we will check for the future to have bank transfers etc."--
So, I think they will _never_ switch over to payments like Overture or Espotting ...

I opened a new AdWord account about a week or 10 days ago and they let me register a bank account for payments. I am in Canada but have a US office and a US Bank account. I don't know if I could have used a Canadain account. But nevertheless it looks like you can now use more than a credit card.

The bad news is that my bank account ran out of money and they shut my campaign down anyway. :aloha:

#24 razzle

razzle

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 05:44 AM

Hi Jamie

I have been running a PPC campaign for a clients site for a number of weeks. Due to limited budget we started at average number three position. We got great clicks throughs and conversions and so we decide to test a number one position. After a week of this although we have had a slightly higher click through rate it is not proportional to the extra money we are paying. We went from a 10% to a 12% click through rate but are paying 3 times the money. So we are going straight back to position number three thanks very much!! ;)

Razzle

#25 compar

compar

Just Purrfect

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 09:04 AM

So we are going straight back to position number three thanks very much!! :D

Razzle,

You must be talking about an Overture campaign not AdWords. I don't think you can directly control your position with AdWords.

That's very interesting information you have told us but this thread so far has been about AdWord so I was confused. That is why I asked the question.

#26 Haystack

Haystack

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 09:30 AM

After a week of this although we have had a slightly higher click through rate it is not proportional to the extra money we are paying. We went from a 10% to a 12% click through rate but are paying 3 times the money. So we are going straight back to position number three thanks very much!! :D

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the board, Razzle. trying to decide between a 10-12% click through rate? That's an enviable position for many businesses. It sounds like you've done a great job setting up your ad groups.

Keep in mind that if your ROI is high enough to make the ad costs negligible you may be giving up 20% of your potential sales to save a few bucks on PPC traffic. Of course, I have no idea if this applies to you, but I do see this from time to time.

Compar, with Adwords you can't control the exact position your ad will be served in like you can on Overture but Google gives an estimate for your ads placement based on what you set for your max bids.

#27 compar

compar

Just Purrfect

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 01:15 PM

Compar, with Adwords you can't control the exact position your ad will be served in like you can on Overture but Google gives an estimate for your ads placement based on what you set for your max bids.

Yes I know that.

That is why I assume Razzle is talking about Overture, but this being an AdWord thread I was confused or uncertain when he didn't say that he was specifically talking about Overture or some other PPC service rather than AdWords.

#28 razzle

razzle

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 03:30 AM

Hello,

No I AM talking about Adwords. However perhaps I should have said average position rather than actual. I have been adjusting my bids to gain a higher or lower Average position. I have written my ads to be as highly relevant to my terms as possible and then just tweak the maximum bids.

To get my ads as relevant as possible I write a different one for each term. Obviously you can't do that if you have hundreds of terms.

Hope this clears things up :applause:

#29 razzle

razzle

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 03:40 AM

oh and by the way Compar I am a girl!! :hehe:

#30 compar

compar

Just Purrfect

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 07:58 AM

oh and by the way Compar I am a girl!!  :hehe:

Sorry for the gender blunder. Now I'm Razzle Dazzled.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!