• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Link Popularity Software

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kona_UK

Kona_UK

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 07:52 AM

Hello,

My first post in this great forum!

I am currently studying link popularity and trying to understand the subject. My question is has any body used the link popularity software called 'ARELIS 4'?

Now, before anybody jumps on me and screams dont use the software because of any known issues with regards to search engines. I understand the following points with regards to link popularity.

1. Its not all about reciprocal links (although it is important)
2. I prefer to focus on the users experience as oppose to the search engines, meaning I have links to other sites that do not link back, however these links provide useful information to the visitors.
3. Links should be relevant, also compliment and support the sites content.

We have around 75 clients who use our SEO services and we are spending a lot of quality time on building link popularity for a selection of the clients, this way we can idenitfy any problems. Then proceed with ALL clients.

The point of this post is to:
1. Find out if the link pop software should be used.
2. If not, then could somebody explain why not?
3. Due to the number of clients we have, it will take a long time to go through all of them.

Could anyone offer any help & advice on where to start with link popularity and how to implement a link popularity strategy/campaign.

Many thanks, I have come a long way since reading Jill's articles and advice, keep up the great work Jill !!!

Regards,

Kona_UK

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 08:41 AM

Hi Kona_UK! Welcome :lol:

I have demo-ed Arelis and found it did a great job of finding potential link partners.

What I did not like about it was the e-mail harvesting feature (which often pulled the wrong e-mail address(es) ) and the templated mail function. My advice would be to use the software to locate potential partners, then write a personalized e-mail with your link suggestion. Just turning the thing on and blindly sending 100-200 e-mails with your message tacked on to a template is pure spam, IMO.

When looking for sites that may link to you, just because it is a relevant site does not mean you should ask for a link! If the site doesn't link to any other sites, how likely are they to link to you? Look for links or resources pages or blogs where links are integrated as a likely indication that your relevant site may be added.

I know Arelis can build a link directory and check backlinks on a regular basis, but again, I wouldn't use those features. The default directories it creates are easily identified by SE's and in some cases, ignored. Personally, I only link to sites that are relevant so checking whether or not they are still linking back to me is not an issue I spend much time on.

:D

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 08:48 AM

I haven't tried it out (and don't think I would), but if it's designed in part to harvest email addresses, even if you don't personally use it for that, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if its spider gets disallowed by a lot of sites' robots.txt. If so, I doubt it would be able to find all of the most relevant sites. Yet another reason to find complementary sites the old fashioned (albeit slow) way.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,989 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 08:51 AM

Welcome Kona_UK! :aloha: Glad my newsletter has been some help to you.

As to your question, with any software, it's only as good as the person driving it. I've never used that particular software, but like Scottie said it apparently is a great way to find potential link partners.

If it helps you do this, and you avoid the obvious things NOT to use it for, then you should be fine. Although, I believe it automatically queries Google which is against their TOS. (I may be wrong about it doing this, but I think I heard that this is how it works.) If that's the case, you will need to decide if you are okay disobeying Google's TOS or not. That's a decision each person needs to consider for themselves.

Good luck!

Jill

#5 Kona_UK

Kona_UK

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 09:07 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

I have made a note of Scotties point regarding the software being good to search for potential link partners.

Since day one of my SEO journey I have always obeyed the rules and TOS of search engines.

I take the view that if I continue to stick to my guns then sooner or later (often later) that my projects will achieve great success, and so far this has been achieved.

I have on the odd occasion used ranking software but that is a different story and as you have already stated its the driver behind the software.

Cheers,

Kona

'Good things come to those that wait'

#6 markymark

markymark

HR 4

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 09:14 AM

Jill,

You can use it to query Google, but I think you can set any site as your starting point for finding potential link partners. I tried the software and found it a bit of a pain to use but it's horses for courses, I guess.

#7 Sharon & Roy

Sharon & Roy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 08:05 AM

You can use it to query Google.

Hi Mark,

What makes it okay to use this software to query Google?

Any details and insight you can share with us is most appreciated.

Your Friends,

Sharon & Roy

#8 Debra

Debra

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 08:54 AM

I would NOT use it to query Google.

#9 Sharon & Roy

Sharon & Roy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 12:06 AM

Hi Debra,

Just noticed that your URL (in your Signature File) is missing the letter "n"!

Your Friends,

Sharon & Roy

#10 daveroberts

daveroberts

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 12:41 AM

I am now using ARELIS for a client reciprocal link campaign. The program was very helpful in harvesting links--I harvested all of a couple of competitor's links. The program also helped me to keep track of all the information involved in reviewing the sites and categorizing them. It did a great job of building the links page automatically. Now, when I find that I need to list one or another site in a different category, I just change ARELIS's database and regenerate the links page.

A link campaign involves keeping track of a number of characterisiics of several hundred sites. Then you have to keep track of link requests and responses from all these sites. The data management job is daunting, and IMHO ARELIS is well designed to do what you need.

My use of the program for this campaign is experimental--if it goes well I will employ it for other clients. So far it's going well--the client is pleased, the links page is nice, and from the client's point of view I am doing quite a job of keeping track of a whole lot of complex information.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!