• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Linking Sites

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 HAJITH

HAJITH

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 04:45 AM

Glad to see Jill started her new forum.

By the way here is my first question to the forum.

Which is better Reciprocal linking or Oneway linking(not linking back to the site whick is giving links to us.)

I think in case of quality sites(them related) reciprocal linking is better instead of oneway linking.

What you guys think...

#2 markymark

markymark

HR 4

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 05:56 AM

Hi, HAJITH

I've moved this topic to the [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?showforum=10]link building forum[/url] as this is the best place for it.

Kind of a hard question to answer without knowing what your intention is. The truth of the matter is that if you're trying to maximize your ranking in Google, one way links into your site are the best way to go. That way you keep all the PageRank on your site. But really, if you are looking to provide a useful experience for your visitors, then link out to sites you think would provide value to your visitors. It really is that simple.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 08:36 AM

Welcome, Hajith! :lol:

We've actually been discussing that topic here.

:D

Jill

#4 compar

compar

Just Purrfect

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 11:05 AM

I agree with Mark. Incoming links without a link back are the best from Google's point of view. But the question I have is how are you going to convince other webmasters to link to you without a reciprocal link back to them?

If you control a bunch of different web site then you can opt to do one way links to the site you are particularly trying to promote. However I can't believe that it is possible to build any real quantity of links to your site without offering reciprocal linking.

#5 Debra

Debra

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 11:34 AM

Welcome HAJITH !

Which is better Reciprocal linking or Oneway

The short answer is one way links are better. But as with everything else in life there is a bigger picture.

Linking out to websites is a natural occurance on the Web. Link to a complimentary site that offers your visitors information and products that will benefit them.

how are you going to convince other webmasters to link to you without a reciprocal link back to them?

There are several suggestions on how to do this here

Look toward the end of the thread for the ideas!

#6 illyad

illyad

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 01:33 PM

how are you going to convince other webmasters to link to you without a reciprocal link back to them?

I don't mention reciprocating in my original link request email -- which by the way is always a personal request using the webmaster's name and refers to the page where a link would be preferred (or most logical based on their web site design).

Those that will link to me without a link in return are great and I will often link back to them anyway if I think their content/site is valuable to my visitors.

If a site doesn't add the link within a week, I send a follow-up request and mention that I am willing to reciprocate. I'll only do this, again, if I like their site.

If that doesn't work, I place the link on my page and with the third request tell them where the link is (guilt them into it). I only do this if I really think the link will give me either a good PR or traffic boost.

Here's a tactic that has always worked well for me: when I start looking for link prospects, I find new sites in my subject area and see who is linking to them. Since those sites are actively update their pages, they are usually more likely to add a link to mine -- quite often on the first request.

- illya

#7 Marc

Marc

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 02:51 PM

Incoming Links, always great to have! one-way linking back to your site, even better! but with my site for instance, I tend link to sites that have valuable information that I think other people might find informative...so if they didnt find EXACTLY what they were looking for on my site, atleast I could send them to a site that might be more in depth on the content. I have noticed that by doing this (recip linking) that people do return to my site to find information and also use it as a reference point for other site information as well.

did I go off the track? oh well :rolleyes:

Take Care!

#8 awall19

awall19

Peanut Butter Lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 12:08 AM

I think off the start it is hard to get links without reciprocating them. With a low pagerank people may assume that your site is either
1.) of low quality
2.) new and unstable
which is thus a big risk to their viewers

If you link to them first, do easy reciprocating links with related sites, and list in what directories you can then you can at least start to develope pagerank. After you start to develope pagerank that aids the confidence of others and makes it easier for them to link to you as a reference. Pagerank allows people to assume you have been around awhile and are a quality developed site which has had a lot of work invested into it.

I think off the start you sometimes have to give a little to get a little, but after a while good sites just start finding you and linking to you. Eventually you may look at your backlinks and be surprised to see pages from colleges and other authoritative sites linking into your site.

I am still somewhat new, but I think I am figuring things out :upsidedown:

#9 Debra

Debra

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 01:47 AM

Pagerank allows people to assume you have been around awhile and are a quality developed site which has had a lot of work invested into it.

Welcome to the [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?showforum=10]link building forum[/url] awall19! :applause:

Don't assume that everyone has a google toolbar! You'd be surprised at the number of website owners who have no clue on how to use it, much less what it means.

You're right - it's hard to get one way links, but it's not impossible. Instead of offering to swap links, offer the host site an incentive to link to you. Some sort of promotional or discount offer. Make the offer viral so there is incentive to the host site to send the link to others. ( at the very least ask the site owner to send your link to others!)

#10 amberbaby

amberbaby

HR 1

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 02:17 AM

I'm a bit confused about this linking: there is a lot of talk about inbound links increasing PR and a link out decreasing PR. In a way this makes sense to me, but looking at my competitors with high PR pages, most have link exchanges with valuable sites, so I assume that it helps them get good PR. Maybe it's because they link from a "links" page on their site (low PR) to a home page of another site (high PR) and the other site does the same. Therefore increasing PR on each other's home pages. Does that make sense ?
Question: does an outbound link "bleed" PR from all pages of a site or just from the page with the link ?

On the other hand, who is to say that one day Google doesn't decide that a site with lot's of outbound links is more valuable because it gives the visitor more information or choice by suggesting other sites.

#11 Mel

Mel

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 02:47 AM

Hi Amber
You are not alone, there is a lot of confusion in this area.

The basic PageRank algo as originally devised simply counts inbound link and gives the page linked to credit based on how important the linking page is and how many pages it links to.

The concept of losing PR only comes into play when you optimize the over all rank of all the pages in your site (sometimes called SiteRank). By carefully linking between pages of your site you can insure that each page gets the maximum share of Siterank available. Where the loss comes in is that when you link out to external pages you will only pass a lesser portion of that pages PR back to the other pages in your site.

Say you have a home page with a PR of x and a link to only secondpage.htm on your site, you would then pass (about) .85 * x to secondpage which (assuming there are no other incoming links) would give it a PR of .85 * x. If you now link back to only your home page you pass .85 *.85 * x back to your home page to be added to its PR.

If you link out to one other external page you pass .85 *.85 *x/2 your homepage and to the other page you link to; if you link out to 99 external pages you will only pass 1/100 of the PR back.

So its not about losing pagerank, its about not making the best use of what you have to work with ((or failure to gain PR) and it can effect the PR of all the pages within your site, depending on your internal linking schema.

Another thing often forgotten in thinking about "loss" of PR by linking out is that while you may not get a portion back directly from the site that you linked to (as in your example) but that page may link to other pages and some of those other pages may link to you.

My advice is:
Us an internal linking schema to maximize the overall rank of your site.
When you contemplate lots of outbound links, link out from pages that already have many outbound links on them, so that these links don't make much difference.
Otherwise don't worry about it that much, if it makes sense to link to a particular page from a particular page on your site and if its good for your viewers link out without another thought.

Many search engines do use hub and authority in thier algos and in those engines the outbound links may well help you, and as you say Google may decide to give you some credit also.

#12 HAJITH

HAJITH

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for all the thoughts..

Why i asked this question is i have heard that Google Loves crawling in loops and it gives more weightage for cross linking structure.

So when google loves to rotate in loops it is obvious that cross linking is better by all means...

so what you people thinks of crosslinking structure.

Thanks & Regards
HAJITH.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!