• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

New Meta Tag Idea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Think Web

Think Web

Our Anti-Moron™ software comes in many flavors!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 09:06 AM

Google's Adwords has a negative keyword/phrase filter for increased relevance; why not create the same for all websites?

Example:
<meta name="Keywords" content="hinge manufacturer, continuous hinge, butt hinge, Marlboro Hinge...">
<meta name="Negative-Keywords" content="cigarettes, cigarette, coupons, marlboro.com...">

With something like this, we can effectively help SE's show more relevant results.

Although meta-keywords have been abused, I don't see the potential of this happening to Negative-meta’s.

Any thoughts?

#2 markymark

markymark

HR 4

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 09:27 AM

I'm not sure how helpful it would actually be to have a negative meta keyword tag. After all, if you haven't got the word 'cigarettes' on your page, you ain't going to appear in the SERPs for searches on marlboro cigarettes. So, in that regard at least, a negative meta tag isn't going to help. It's only in AdWords that such a thing is actually necessary - if you target Marlboro as a keyword, you don't want your hinges site coming up when people search on cheap cigs.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 09:28 AM

Hmmm, interesting idea! But how does one ever get something like that to catch on with the engines?

Speaking of negative keyword lists, I believe our newest moderator, haystack, has one of those lists (may have been the first to ever create one).

Thinking about this some more, Think Web, I would think that if you're not using those words on your page or in the tags, it wouldn't rank highly for them anyway, right? What am I missing here? I suppose with Google bombings it could happen. Is that what you're thinking of?

Jill

#4 Think Web

Think Web

Our Anti-Moron™ software comes in many flavors!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 09:43 AM

Surprisingly, we see it every so often in a few of our clients logs.

It's especially noticeable with sites that sell rubber and silicon products, and even The Karcher website gets visited by people looking for various "Karcher Pressure Washer" terms.

We crack up at some of the phrases we see! :rolleyes:

>Hmmm, interesting idea! But how does one ever get something like that to catch on with the engines?

Well, Google inspired the idea and I may mention it to them in San Jose, CA next month.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!