• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Blacklist Recovery

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 mcanerin

mcanerin

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 10:08 PM

Hi All,

I've been contacted by a web designer friend who informs me that her client was on Google and MSN and is now only on MSN. In nearly the same breath, she mentioned the client was "learning SEO and messing around with keyword density" and as well had just bought several domains... you can see where this went.

I'm likely the inherit a site here that was blacklisted for spamming - probably mirror sites from the looks of it. I'll be doing the usual SEO stuff on the site, but I've never been blacklisted so I don't have any experience as to how long it takes to recover.

Would it be like having a brand new site, or are there residual effects that last past the next google-dance? Does anyone know?

Additionally, any advice or pitfalls I should know about?

TIA,

Ian

#2 Mel

Mel

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 10:21 PM

HI Ian:

Getting a Google penalty to a clients site undone can be a bit of work, but I have used this process successfully:

1. Go through the site with a fine tooth comb and make sure to remove all the bad stuff.

2. Email Google and tell them clearly what the situation is and what you have done to correct it and swear on a stack of bibles that it won't happen again

3. Wait for the reply that never comes.

4. Repeat steps 1- 3 a few times.

5. Phone the Googleplex, tell them your sad story, tell them you have sent numerous emails and got no replies, anytime an email address is suggested to you say you have already sent a few emails to that address with not replies; ask to speak to someone who can help, you will not get put through. Ask to speak to Sergy Brin, You will not get put through. Ask to speak to Larry page, you will not get put through, ask to speak to googleguy, you will not get put through. Keep this up for long enough and the receptionist may just give you a 24 hour code word and email address to use it on.

6. Email using the codeword, repeating step two and, surprise, you will get a brief reply which will say that the site has been reviewed.

7. Wait until the ban is lifted. It seems to me that Google seems to impose a time-out type penalty on unbanned domains ( in steps of 3 months up to a year) and then to sloooowly lift the ban. First you may see your home page start to rank on your best term, and you will be given a very low PageRank (perhps a PR2), after a couple of months more and more of your pages will start to rank and your full PR will come back.

I can no way guarantee that this procedure will work for you, but it has worked for several clients.

Edited by Mel, 31 July 2003 - 10:26 PM.

#3 mcanerin

mcanerin

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 10:44 PM

Hmmm, I wonder if I can use one of the other domains this guy just bought and repost a "clean" website on a different IP / server? It's a new enough site I may be able to avoid the "brand awareness" issues other sites would have.

Anyone know if they keep a cache of banned sites or if it's just "bang you're dead" and then move on?

And howcome I feel like a spammer for even thinking about it? *washes hands*

Any thoughts? I can't be the only one with this issue.

Ian

#4 jerry

jerry

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 11:24 PM

Ian,

I had a site banned about 6 months ago. I corrected my sins and followed a less agressive version of the above technques. It took me about 3 to 4 months to get the site back. The PageRank is still not as high as it used to be. My advice would be to start a new site with a new domain name and tell your client to, "Go and sin no more."

Jerry

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!