• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Submitting Press Releases

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 clipprx

clipprx

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 07:22 PM

Much luck on your new forum

Years ago I did a lot of trade journal press releases. Got a lot of ink and some business.

Now I understand the journals prefer e-mail with jpg's attached. Any one have advice on proper submittal etiquette? optimum length? jpg size?

What is a good source for editor e-mail addresses?

Thanks, clipprx

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 09:31 PM

Hi Clipprx!

Welcome to the forum ;)

I thought your post deserved a thread of it's own, so I split it off from the Free PR thread.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 10:10 PM

Welcome, Clipprx! ;) (Check your private messages because you're our 200th member and I have a special present for you.)

As to sending attachments to reporters, from what I understand, you should never send any kind of unsolicited attachment. You can ask them if they want one, but never send an attachment to anyone unless they specifically request it. Too many viruses out there these days.

Jill

#4 Kal

Kal

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 10:17 PM

Yep, Jill's right. Just went through this process last week, again. Many media agencies have their email systems set up to automatically delete all emails that come with attachments. Your best bet is to phone the agency/paper involved and ask their preference for press release delivery. Some still prefer fax, but most prefer a HTML or text email with the headline in the email subject line and the full release included in the body section. If you have photos/graphics to go with the story, just make a note that they are available at the end of the release.

Also, try to address the release individually to each journalist or to the appropriate news room address ;)

#5 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 10:31 PM

Hi Kal!

Good to see you- ;) How are you feeling? :D

I've found this site to be very useful in covering the bases on writing and sending out press releases.

#6 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 06:01 PM

Hi clipprx!

Everyone is right. No attachments. And yes, do call first or use a professional firm to send your releases. BusinessWire.com is a great distribution company. You may want to check them out.

A few other tips...

1. When writing, address the journalist, not the end user. The journalist is your target audience. Answer the question 'Why would my readers care about your product/service'?

2. Write in fact, not hype. Press releases that sound like an ad will get trashed faster than the blink of an eye.

3. Within your release, use quotes from other sources to back up your claims. Reporters laugh about people who quote themselves in press releases. Of course YOU have something good to say about your company.

Hope this helps.

Karon

#7 toprank

toprank

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 07:52 PM

Great topic! Here's a useful resource for PR advice: MarketingSherpa. Lots of case studies and how-to information in regard to pitching. Often times, soliciting in a link building campaign is not too different than pitching writers on a story.

#8 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 05:29 AM

Oh yes! Marketing Sherpa has tons of great information on just about everything.

#9 prweb

prweb

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 11:21 PM

As to sending attachments to reporters, from what I understand, you should never send any kind of unsolicited attachment.

Do not submit attachments. Instead, send a link to a web URL where they can download the attachment.

Also avoid the most Common Press Release Mistakes: www.prweb.com/pressreleasemistakes.php

#10 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 06:51 AM

Welcome David! :D

Great to have you here!

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!