• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Bulllets Vs. Paragraphs For Keywords.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 jerry

jerry

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 08:45 PM

How do I get all 50 states listed by Google for "(state) keyword phrase" ?

For example, when I put the terms in a paragraph like: "Alabama Blue Widget Budget is $5." "Georgia Blue Widget Budget is $10." etc., Google indexes the phrases.

But when I listed (in bullelt form) all of the states in either one of the ways shown below, Google ignored the list and only indexed the state keyword phrases that were in the lead paragraph.

Here is the bullet forms that didn't work:

Alabama Blue Widget Budget $5
Alaska Blue Widgets Budget $10
etc.

I thought listing the same keyword phrase 50 times in a list might be considered spamming so I changed to the following form. It didn't help.

Alabama $5
Alaska $10
etc.

After trying the above forms for 3 months each, when I would search for "Nebraska Blue Widget Budget" (or any of 45 other states) there would be 5 to 8 hits total for many states and my site would not be one of them. I don't need high ranking. I just want to get the terms listed.

I have tired listing all 50 states in both of the ways shown above and Google didn't find them even though the page has a PR=5 . (The Home page only has a PR =4.)

I have tried going back and adding a few more states with the keyword phrase in the lead paragraph and Google quickly picked up those phrases.

I guess if I put 5 states in each of 10 paragraphs like the lead paragaraph, it looks like Google would find them, but it wouldn't be very user frinedly.

The list of all 50 states in bullet form is great for users and the page gets a lot of links to it, but Google ignores it.

Any advice?

Jerry

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 09:26 PM

Hi Jerry-

Welcome! ;)

I'm not totally following the problem... could you put up a link and let us take a look?

Off the top of my head, you are going to have a hard time getting one page ranked well for all 50 states. You would be better off having a separate page for each state with (hopefully) some unique content on it pertaining to that state.

There could be any number of reasons Google doesn't like the page but without more info or being able to see the page, I would just be guessing.

#3 jerry

jerry

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 09:50 PM

Scottie,

Thanks for your comments. Here is the link to the page: http://www.small-cla.../staterules.htm

I am not not concerned about "high" ranking right now. I just want to get the states listed.

For example: Search for "Texas small claims court" and the page comes up # 3 and #4, but search for "Maine small claims court" and it doesn't come up at all.

The page you will see is a mess. The top half is where I started tring to use each phrase in a sentence in a paragraph and I decided it looked stupid.

The lower half is the way it used to look. Originally the page had a lead paragraph including Texas, California, Florida and New York and all states listed in the list. The 4 states in the lead paragraph is listed high and none of the others are listed.

Hope this makes it clearer.

Thanks for your help Scottie.

Jerry

P.S. Former president Andrew Jackson said, "It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." I think this explains most of my email posts.

#4 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 10:15 PM

AH yes- ;)

I remember you talking about this at lunch in Atlanta- very interesting stuff!

Ok- I see what mean now.

What is helping you with the paragraph is that the state is bolded and has a little text to go with it- that will be better for the spider than simply a list of states and amounts.

What if you did something like this?

$3000 is the maximum limit in Alabama small claims court.
$7500 is the most you can sue for in Alaska small claims court.
$2,500 is the upper limit in Arizona small claims court.
$5,000 is the max in Arkansas small claims court.
$5,000 is what you could get in California small claims court.

Instead of running it all together in one paragraph, simply use line breaks to separate it into something that is easier and more interesting to read. Adding small claims court into the line should help as well.

I like that you have come up with a slightly different way to phrase it for each state... it give the list a little interest.

#5 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 10:23 PM

Just as an aside, I'd recommend using an external style sheet to do your text formatting so that your page isn't weighed down with all the <font> tags.

It looks like possibly you are using some sort of wysiwyg editor to create the page? HTML is really easy to learn and for a relatively clean layout like you have here, you could get rid of some of the excess code on the page.

It's not a huge page so getting the code lean won't make a big impact, but it is nice to know how to make the changes on your own. ;)

#6 jerry

jerry

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 10:41 PM

Scottie, thanks for your advice. I like your suggestions. I will implement these changes and I think this will solve my problem.

Jerry

#7 Vermont

Vermont

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 04:13 PM

I think I see what may be happening:

your "&nbsp"'s need a ";" at the end of them. The search engines may be seeing "&nbspWyoming" instead of just "Wyoming"

Try viewing your website in Mozilla browser instead of internet explorer and you will see what I mean.

#8 Haystack

Haystack

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 05:06 PM

Nice catch, Vermont. Small things like that can make a huge difference.

#9 jerry

jerry

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:34 PM

Thanks, Vermont. Your answer makes sense. That was a great observation. Thanks for taking the time to look at the site and figure this out.

Jerry

#10 Vermont

Vermont

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 11:35 AM

Thanks, Vermont. Your answer makes sense. That was a great observation. Thanks for taking the time to look at the site and figure this out.

Jerry

Your Welcome :-)

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!