• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Toolbar Beta 2.0

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Herbert

Herbert

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 04:27 PM

Hi,
what abt the "Web Buttons" in that bar? the google-help says its for voting a site or a search result...but what is google doing with that votings referred to a certain site? what abt the "good" and the "bad" votings of a site? is that a good "tool" for the competitor to say google ´hey folks, that site is not a good one"... :)
So, what do u know abt that voting buttons? what is the intention of the google-guys? :hmm:

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 09:33 PM

The general consensus is that the voting buttons are there to drive webmasters nuts. As far as I know, they are not used for anything.

I think there are some engineers sitting in the Googleplex watching those votes come in and laughing. ;)

#3 princess

princess

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 07:17 AM

I have heard so much about the toolbar that i wish i could try it out. but...i just can't seem to be able to download it. i have tried everything, even downloading the installer but that too gives me a shell32.dll error...oh well, i guess will have to wait for the toolbar to automatically update.

#4 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 07:53 AM

I use Safari. No toolbar, just a Search box up top that looks just like the Search bar in all OS X applications.
On my work Windows machine, I use Mozilla.
Sort-of a toolbar. Not quite, though, and not officially Google-sanctioned.
I get by...
But I've never seen these Web Buttons. I guess Google doesn't care what people not using IE5-6 think... If it cares at all! Those might just be there to make people feel like they have some effect.

#5 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 07:59 AM

Hi Princess! :lol:

Welcome to the forum!

What browser and version are you using?

#6 Jellytott

Jellytott

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 10:03 AM

Hi Forum,
I had downloaded the google toolbar, with the sole intention of using the link popularity bar as a guide to my own sites rating.
However aswell as causing functionality problems in IE 6.0 that lead me to uninstall this programme, when I did so it corrupted the XP platform that lead to a reformatting.
Apparently our IT company say that these type of toolbars are well known for causing problems.
To this end, I am not convinced that the link popularity bar is a very good guide anyway.
If doing a link:www.???? search in google to find website links, Google only returns 1No result. I know for a fact that I have over 20!!
Can anyone explain exactly how link popularity is measured 'cause i am confused. :aloha:

#7 Matt B

Matt B

The modem is the message.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 10:17 AM

Well, Jelly - you've a few issues, there.

I'm not sure about your compatability issues, as I'm running XP, IE6 and the beta toolbar and not having any problems at all, in fact we have about 10 people running it here, so I'm not aware of any problems.

Some of your links may not be reported in the backwards link check. It doesn't mean that Google doesn't see them, just that Google isn't reporting them. Assuming your site is clean, and you aren't employing any tricks, then the back links are coming from sites that Google isn't counting for your link pop. (for lack of a more in-depth analysis)

IMO, voting buttons are most likely eye candy at this point.

#8 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 10:33 AM

If doing a link:www.???? search in google to find website links, Google only returns 1No result. I know for a fact that I have over 20!!
Can anyone explain exactly how link popularity is measured 'cause i am confused. :rant:

Hi Jellytott-

Only pages that have a PR of 3 or more will show up as backlinks. That doesn't mean they aren't counted, simply that Google will not show them. If you search for your domain name, you can get a better idea of all the sites linking to you.

Link popularity is simply counting the number of sites that link to you. MarketLeap has some free online tools for measuring link popularity over a range of search engines.

Welcome to the fourm! :aloha:

#9 Herbert

Herbert

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 10:45 AM

I have the toolbar 2.0 beta installed now on a w2k-system and IE6...no probs so far. But what I xperienced is:-

- first installed toolbar vers. 1.xxxx - works fine (of course w/o pop-up-blocker);

- de-installing that toolbar and installing the beta 2.0 results in following:
it was not possible to click for pop-up windows in normal websites via links etc. (the ctrl was set in that site to allow a pop-up of course).

- de-installing the beta-toolbar.
now doing repair work like this:
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll [Enter]
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll [Enter]
regsvr32 Shell32.dll [Enter]
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll [Enter]
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll [Enter]
after that fixes it works -the pop-ups on sites are OK...

-installing the beta-toolbar 2.0 again, everything OK.
dont know the reason, but I guess it was the toolbar-changing-procedure ...

#10 princess

princess

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for the welcome scottiecl :rofl:

I use Windows NT with IE 6. I also have all the administrative priveleges...but still cannot download

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!