• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Google Drives 70% Of All Web Traffic! Wake Up Msn,

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 robertclough

robertclough

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 01:51 PM

http://websearch.abo...ogletraffic.htm

Snippet:
I'm concerned, not that Google is too big, but that the other search engines just don't get it, don't deliver it and don't want to give it up. What is IT? Traffic! I attribute this to one thing. Those search engines don't want to give up visitors to FREE search results.

#2 Guest_Old-Welsh-Guy_*

Guest_Old-Welsh-Guy_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2003 - 03:59 PM

I read that MSn is currently writing ta new search engine to go hed to hed with google on! unless i read it wrong? :hmm:

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 04:04 PM

Yes OWG, MSN is planning that.

But since MSN is all about money, money, money, they will surely screw it up, imo.

:hmm:

I just can't imagine that they can pull off anything close to what Google has pulled off. Google has a culture all of it's own, and that's why they have been successful.

Jill

#4 Thanol

Thanol

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 04:52 PM

I think MSN can make a better search engine than Google. I mean seriously if thats what Mircosoft wants that's what they'll get... they have tons of money floating around, err not as much as they used to but it's still A LOT.

#5 markymark

markymark

HR 4

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 05:21 PM

Where do you dig some of this stuff up from, Robert. The figures are badly flawed. The guy is arguing that the low percentage figures for sites other than Google are a consequence of the lack of relevance in the results of non-Google search engines.

However, the figures for Google include Yahoo web search, AOL, iWon, etc. And this is where it all goes wrong. If Yahoo switch to Inktomi results tomorrow, then Google will only be driving maybe 45-50% of the searches. Does this mean Google has become less relevant as a search engine overnight ? Don't think so.

All this article does is shows that the database (Google) that has 70% odd percentage of the market drives 70% of the traffic. Who would have thunk it, eh ?

#6 MakeMeTop

MakeMeTop

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 04:20 AM

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

I have a site which I have just put up and it has had over 35K unique search engine visitors in July. It has not had any from Google yet. So 100% of my traffic on this site does not come from Google :lol:

So - what does this prove? Nothing - apart from I have had no hits from Google!

All this article proves is that the author either:

a: has sites where the demographics of users looking for services/products suits Google.

or

b: is strongly anti PFI/PPC and the sites will not rank for terms which are being buried by the former.

or

c: doesn't know how to optimise for other engines properly (IMHO).

or

d: Google traffic across the board averages around 60-70% of all traffic.

Take your pick :D

#7 robertclough

robertclough

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 02:32 PM

Where do you dig some of this stuff up from, Robert.

All over the place - I just like to dig. :)

#8 Mel

Mel

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 05:56 AM

All this article does is shows that the database (Google) that has 70% odd percentage of the market drives 70% of the traffic. Who would have thunk it, eh ?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!