Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:10 PM
Let me tell you a story, and a true one at that.
I had a client who sold various widgets in a niche. The kind of stuff you usually only buy one at a time (they are big, long lasting and expensive).
The client had a big warehouse full of them, and many different models and brands. Naturally enough, when linking to that area of the site the web designer used "Widgets" to describe the section of the website where you could buy this stuff. This link was in the footer and main menu of every page of the site (big site, lots of pages).
I made one change. I changed the text from "widgets" to "widget" on the menus, along with other changes to other sections of the site. Then, while I was busy optimizing a completely different area of the site, and had not touched that section at all, it shot up from way down at around 160 to number 3 for the search "widget" - which is how people search for these (they don't need more than one).
I didn't touch it. Just changed the incoming links on the internal menu to match the search term. No linking campaign. Nothing.
Although stemming tends to work out rather than in (ie it's more likely to add an "s" than remove one) you are ALWAYS best off by matching the content and links to the actual search term.