• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Struck By The Dreaded Pr0

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 lmsoren

lmsoren

HR 1

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 10:57 AM

Okay, I hate to admit this but: My site suddenly dropped to PR0 about a month ago. First I thought it was probably something to do with Google, since the PageRank had been sort of woobly in the days before, going from 0 to 4 every other day.

But now time has passed and I'm a bit worried that this is a permanent thing.

I went over the site and checked if I had committed any obvious abuse, but couldn't find much, save for a title description that wasn't descriptive. I removed most of the meta content, including alternate texts for a few days, to see if that made any difference. Apparently it didn't.

I did a link search and it doesn't credit me for more than two back links. I know there should be several other.

The home page is indexed and turns up in a keyword search, but only the home page and the contact page seems to have been included. (I'm aware of the "don't use 'id=' " debate elsewhere, and am looking into how to get around that).

Any suggestions?

/lmss

#2 Mel

Mel

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 11:22 AM

Hi LM
Google has 22 of your pages in its index, and for the search term, Netjournalist til leje, which I took from your index page title you are ranking #1 in Google.
Forget about a PR0 for you site.

The Google toolbar PR has been shakey for some time now and seems that this may continue for awhile. Concentrate on your rankings and site optimization and you should be fine.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 11:32 AM

No matter how "accurate" toolbar PR is right now, I'd still recommend not being overly concerned. One of my sites had a PR5 for a long time and about 5 months ago it dropped to a 4. I freaked out, checking every site I linked to to see if I'd been recommending "bad neighborhoods" to my users. That wasn't it. I checked through all my code, but didn't find anything bad there either. I got advice from a few colleagues who told me not to worry about it, so I tried to remain calm...

Since then, we've remained at PR4 (with interior pages mostly at 3) and rankings are up on all of our kw phrases, traffic is way up, as are bookmarkings, subscriptions, backlinks, and positive email feedback. We don't actually sell anything, so I can't talk directly about profits.

Ok, so there's a big difference between a PR4 and a PR0, but I still say that you needn't worry too much about it. Concentrate on improving and adding to your content, getting more good, popular sites to link to you, and all that other important stuff.

#4 Gary Bagshawe

Gary Bagshawe

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 01:32 PM

Google does not list backlinks of sites with pr lower than 4 so if the pages linking to you have a pr of less than 4 they will not show up. Google does count them but just doesn't show them. Hope this helps. ;)

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 02:00 PM

If your site shows up in searches, then it's not a PR0 (a true PR0) regardless of what the toolbar says. Fuggetaboutit and get on with life.

(Assuming you're not doing anything to trick the search engines.)

;)

Jill

#6 lmsoren

lmsoren

HR 1

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 02:49 PM

I guess that toolbar needs some tweaking... Anyway, thanks a lot for some clear, effective answers!

I'm coediting a newsletter on online publishing, and I'll be sure to mention this forum in the next edition.

Looking forward to return the favor,
/lmss

:balloons:

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 02:52 PM

Thanks, Lars, that would be great! ;)

Jill

#8 Marc

Marc

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 02:11 PM

Rank High..Rank Well..dont worry about the whole PR rating! I've increased visitors without worry about the pr and concentrated on content! :rolleyes:

Take Care!

#9 lmsoren

lmsoren

HR 1

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 02:23 AM

Your home page has little content and lists as "UNTITLED DOCUMENT"

Uhm...which site are you on?

/lmss

#10 Guest_CurlyKarl_*

Guest_CurlyKarl_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2003 - 06:26 AM

>>Google does not list backlinks of sites with pr lower than 4

Sorry Gary,

I have to disagree !

I have a brand new site with pr0 (white bar) and I am showing two back links in the new G index :notworthy:

Karl

#11 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 06:29 AM

Karl, what Gary meant is that no matter how many backlinks a site might have, the only ones Google will show are those with a PR4 or better. That is, he wasn't referring to the PR of the site being linked, but of those sites linking to it.

#12 Guest_CurlyKarl_*

Guest_CurlyKarl_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2003 - 06:39 AM

Ahhhhh..........I see

My misunderstanding :notworthy:

Karl

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 10:44 AM

Welcome, CurlyKarl! :aloha:

Jill

#14 Guest_CurlyKarl_*

Guest_CurlyKarl_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:30 AM

Hi Jill

Thanks for the welcome :aloha:

Karl

#15 gmac17

gmac17

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 10:32 PM

"If your site shows up in searches, then it's not a PR0 (a true PR0) regardless of what the toolbar says."

Jill - One of my sites appears to have a PR0, but the site appears under some obscure searches and google shows backlinks to my site (almost 300 of them).

Is this PRO just an anamoly, or might be site really being penalized?

Thanks

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!